Tsunayoshi "Tsuna" Sawada is the main protagonist of Katekyo Hitman Reborn! anime and manga.
Tsuna was a useless kid who wasn't good at sports and couldn't talk to girls to save his life. Well, that's before he met a particular infant hitman named Reborn, who turned his life around forever. It just so happens that 'No Good' Tsuna is the future boss of the Vongola, the greatest mafia family in Italy. He's far from no-good these days though, beating down anyone who threatens the people he loves with the power of his Dying Will Flame.
In the AWA fics, Tsunayoshi is a student at the AWA Academy and is the Student Class Representative of Class 2.
In the XP4 fics, Tsunayoshi is part of the Heroes Coalitions and is a member of the Hunting Team. He also attends at the Vanguard Academy as a student.
Tsuna is a short and slim teenage boy with spiky brown hair and orange eyes (which were changed to brown in the anime). He inherits many traits from Giotto and his mother, Nana.
His most prominent outfit in the series is his Namimori Junior High uniform. He wears a black sweater vest, a white formal shirt, blue tie, and gray pants. He previously wore a white short sleeve shirt with a red tie as his uniform in the beginning of the Daily Life Arc, which was later changed to a yellow blazer with an N shaped logo on the left side and a blue tie.
When Tsuna isn't wearing his school uniform he is shown to have a penchant for hoodies, and wears several of them during the course of the series. During the Future Arc, his most recurring outfit is a white hoodie with long orange sleeves, and green pants. During the Choice Arc, Tsuna's outfit is an all black suit, with a white long sleeved shirt and black necktie from underneath, alongside his guardians.
Many of the outfits he wears has the number 27 somewhere on his clothes, acting as a reference to his name as "tsu" means two, and "na" means seven in Japanese.
His most prominent footwear are his white and orange sneakers.
Tsuna is commonly referred to as a loser, he is an ordinary junior-high student best known in school as "No Good Tsuna" due to his poor grades, wimpy attitude, bad luck, and lack of athleticism, a fact that Tsuna freely admits. He often self doubts himself and quits easily, skipping or ditching his classes, though he becomes more confident of himself and mellows out later in the series.
Tsuna is generally depicted as comically horrified by the outrageous actions of those around him, generally causing him to become nearly hysterical, especially by Reborn's training methods. His lack of confidence and tremendous lack of luck generally contrast humorously with the positions of leadership and external pressure Reborn puts him in. Despite his title, he seems an earnest individual with great potential; unfortunately, Reborn discovers that often the only way to force Tsuna to fulfill this potential is to put him in a life or death situation.
Compared to many of his friends, Tsuna is more down to earth, since he is still relatively new to the mafia world and the supernatural. In many occasions, especially in Reborn's antics, Tsuna is able to point out all the strange things that happen before his friends are able to do so.
Although told by others that he is to be the 10th generation Vongola Boss, Tsuna is generally unwilling to take part in anything that has to do with the Mafia. He always denies the fact that he is going to be a Mafia Boss and tries to avoid anyone and anything involved with the Mafia, clinging to any element of an ordinary life he can, even stating that his Guardians and subordinates are just his friends and upperclassmen. Later, though he dislikes the violent history inherent in the Mafia, stating that he would rather destroy the Vongola Famiglia then to accept such a heritage, Tsuna is grateful for the friends he has made since meeting Reborn. He cares a lot for his Famiglia and puts himself in the way of danger and even death in order to protect the members.
Tsuna's personality has developed greatly since the beginning of the manga, from being a cowardly, useless individual who gave up easily, to an individual of great resolve to do whatever he must do to protect the companions he has made. Later, he is depicted as being comfortable with leadership, as the others in his Famiglia look to him for decisions he dispenses without hesitation.
The Tsuna of the future is said to be deceased, having been gunned down; however, not without making arrangements for the future. It is later revealed that the bullet used to gun down Tsuna was just another special bullet (similar to Dying Will Bullet) that replaced the normal bullet in the gun, the deed done by Shoichi Irie. Presumably, the future Tsuna has now settled comfortably into the role of the tenth Vongola Boss and has been shown to be much more confident, entrusting the task to defeat Byakuran to his past self.
There have been many similarities between Tsuna and the founder of the Vongola Famiglia, Giotto, including physical appearance, fighting techniques, and weapons used. Both of their personalities are likely to be very similar as it has been shown that they have similar goals and ways of standards; for example, neither had problems with appointing Guardians from outside the Famiglia or accepting past enemies into their Famiglia. Both are also forgiving and unexceptionally kind, as shown on numerous occasions; despite claiming that he will never forgive his enemies, Tsuna would end up sympathizing with and eventually forgiving them, almost immediately regarding them as his allies.
Tsuna is capable of using the Dying Will Flame (when shot with special bullets or having taken certain pills), which is a form of high pressured energy capable of having destructive powers or purifying evil auras. It initially lies within a person's body until it is awakened, helping increase a person's strength. When a person is able to control the full potential and power of the Dying Will they are able to go into (Hyper) Dying Will Mode at any time. Reborn said that any one has the potential to do this, but not many people can withstand the training phases. Through Reborn's training, Tsuna has grown exponentially whenever he faced opponents that were levels above him in strength.
Tsuna has at times showed signs of brilliance, despite his idiotic tendencies, having created a technique such as the Zero Point Breakthrough: Revised through his Hyper Intuition. He developed the X-Burner simply from Haru stating how her, Kyoko, and the others would always support Tsuna, which made Tsuna think of using the Soft Flames to support him with one hand, while he uses the other hand to fire the Hard Flames.
- Dying Will Mode: This mode is activated when Tsuna is shot by Reborn's Dying Will Bullet or having taken a Dying Will Pill. It uses the pressure he faces during a crisis to externally remove Tsuna's body limiters. He then uses his increased strength and renewed confidence to fulfill his dying will, which is the last thought he regretted before being shot. Near the end of the series, Tsuna has displayed the ability to change his Dying Will while in Dying Will Mode.
- Hyper Dying Will Mode: This is when one has been hit with the Criticism Shot or ingested two Dying Will Pills. Hyper Dying Will, instead of removing external limiters on the body and using pressure during a crisis, removes internal limiters; therefore, releasing the person's hidden awareness. When the internal limiters are lifted, it awakens his Hyper Intuition.
- Ultimate Dying Will Mode: This form is achieved by being shot with a Dying Will Bullet while in the form of Hyper Dying Will Mode. Normally, the Dying Will Bullet would cause you to lose your mental state of mind and only concentrate on what your dying will is; however, in this mode, you keep your mental state and become engulfed in flames.
- Oath Flame: A combination of the Earth Flame and Sky Flame that forms an extremely powerful Flame. This flame has the abilities of both the Sky and Earth Flame and was created when the Earth Simon Ringand the Ring of the Sky Version X fused together.
- Sky Vongola Ring: Won after the Ring Battles with the Varia. Tsuna usually wears this Ring around his neck, but he wears it behind his right glove when he is fighting. In the future, both Future Tsuna and Present Tsuna learned how to release Sky Flames with the Harmony characterization. Tsuna is also able to open any kind of Box Weapon using the Sky Flames produced by the Sky Vongola Ring, though the power is less than those opened with the original Flame attribute. In addition, it can also not bring out the true potential of the box weapons. During his battle with Byakuran, a manifestation of Vongola Primo appeared and granted Tsuna and his Guardians the true power of the Vongola Rings. As a result, Tsuna's Flames and techniques have dramatically increased in power.
- Vongola Box Ring (Natsu): After Byakuran was defeated, the Vongola were told that they couldn't take the Vongola Boxes with them. But with Verde's help, the Vongola Boxes were turned into Rings and were brought back to the present with the Vongola.
- Ring of the Sky Version X: A newly formed ring created by combining the Sky Vongola Ring and Vongola Box Ring (Natsu).
- X-Gloves: Created by Reborn's pet, Leon. At first, they appear to be white, wool mittens, but when used with the Dying Will Flame, they change into a pair of black, metal-clad Gloves.
- X-Gloves, Version Vongola Ring: Though otherwise identical to the X-Gloves the Vongola Ring Version Gloves have a large crests resembling the Sky Vongola Ring on the back of each hand.
- X-Gloves, Version Vongola Gear: The new gloves now seem to be mostly red, unlike the previous gloves' black. The normal crystal blue Vongola Emblem in the middle now has a red cross on top of it reading "Vongola Famiglia," and Flame type designs cover the bases of the gloves. Also, as part of the gear, a leg bangle has been added. This bangle is similar to the Ring of the Sky Version X, as it is connected by a chain to a simple belt with an "X" as a buckle.
- Flame Resistant Clothing: These are spun from special Flame Resistant Cloth made by Leon and are capable of withstanding the Dying Will Flame to an extent.
- Contact Lenses: Created by Spanner, these Special Contacts display a targeting system, as well as a system to gauge the strength of the Flames in both X-Gloves. Using these Contacts, Tsuna is able to maximize the power of the X-Burner without propelling himself. The Contacts are apparently interfaced with his earphones.
- X-Headphones: Created by Giannini during the Future Arc, as a method of communication during the Merone Base invasion. Per Reborn's request, this headset is able to project holograms to allow Reborn to help Tsuna from a distance. Spanner later linked the headsets to the contact lenses he created to help Tsuna perfect his X-Burner. The present Spanner created upgrades for these along with upgrades for the contact lenses.
- Lancia's Boss's Ring: Lancia gave this Ring to Tsuna before the latter left with Basil for Italy. Tsuna brought it with him to the future, and found out that it was a special ring until it was detected by a Strau Mosca shortly after meeting Lal Mirch. It also protected him from Byakuran's Mini White Dragon.
- Motorbike/Airbike: In the manga, Tsuna has a Honda 250cc NSR Rothmans. In the anime, the airbikes have identical appearances aside from differences in coloration, so Tsuna's color is primarily white with some blue
- Leone di Cieli Version Vongola (Vongola Sky Lion): Tsuna's Vongola Box Weapon, which takes the form of a young lion with a mane made of Sky Flames.
- Cambio Forma Modo Difesa: Through Cambio Forma, Natsu changes into a long, black Cloak. The Cloak is attached to a metal plate on the X-Gloves. The Cloak's Ability is to nullify attacks using the Sky's Harmony characterization.
- Cambio Forma Modo Attaco: Natsu combines with the X-Gloves and turns into a Gauntlet. While using this, Tsuna can concentrate all his Flames into a single attack without charging.
- Leone di Cieli Version X: This is the Vongola Gear version of Natsu, Tsuna's Vongola Box Weapon. With the upgrade, Natsu has armor on his legs and is wearing armor with the Vongola crest on his forehead. Natsu is capable of merging directly with Tsuna for the latter's Cambio Forma.
- Version Vongola Gear: Natsu fuses with Tsuna and his Vongola Gear X-Gloves and turns into flame-patterned arm thrusters. These thrusters can be used to support the XX-Burner or emit Flamespowerful enough to escape the gravity of a black hole.
- Modo Attaco: Natsu fuses with Tsuna's right Vongola Gear Glove and turns into a gauntlet used by the first Vongola Boss.
- Vongola Hyper Intuition- It is described by Reborn as being "a power that could see through all."
- Minus State - Tsuna can rest his Flames and pass out. After, Tsuna can return to his Hyper Dying Will Mode without getting hit with a Criticism Shot or having to ingest two Dying Will Pills.
- Zero Point Breakthrough: Revised: Tsuna's own version of the Zero Point Breakthrough. The revised Technique allows Tsuna to not only absorb the enemy Flames, but convert the Flames into his own power.
- Zero Point Breakthrough: First Edition: The Technique used by the First Vongola and later the Ninth Vongola and Tsuna. It takes Tsuna to be in the opposite state of the Hyper Dying Will State to create ice, which is highly negative compressed energy that can seal Dying Will Flames away and can only be melted by the Dying Will Flames.
- X-Burner: A powerful blast of Dying Will Flame from the X-Gloves Version Vongola Ring usable on the ground and in the air.
- XX Burner: Tsuna's upgraded version of X Burner, used after gaining his Cambio Forma Version Vongola Gear. Soft flames fired out backwards absorb the recoil of the front facing flames
- Condensed X-Burner: After gaining Oath Flame inn order to limit the damage of the X-Burner to a smaller area, while keeping its usual destructive power, Tsuna Gravity Manipulation in order to pinpoint the technique on just his target and minimize the usual damage caused by the technique on the surrounding areas.
- X-Stream: Tsuna dives down at the enemy, and rapidly begins to circle them from bottom to the top, flames lagging behind, until they are completely covered with spiraling flames.
- Hyper X-Stream: Hyper X-Stream is a more powerful version of the original X-Stream attack used by Tsuna. Tsuna flies toward his enemy and rapidly circles them from bottom to top, Flames lagging behind his feet, until his target is completely trapped in a tornado of Sky Flames.
- Big Bang Axle: Tsuna concentrates Flames in his fist while using Mitena di Vongola Primo to deliver a powerful punch which is said to rival the X-Burner in power.
- Burning Axle: After gaining the Original Vongola Rings, the Big Bang Axle gained more power, and was dubbed the Burning Axle.
- X Cannon: After gaining the new Cambio Forma Version Vongola Gear, Tsuna can shoot two powerful blasts with an X shape from the hand with the other hand on the arm.
- Gravity Manipulation: After gaining the power of the Oath Flame, with the ability of the Sky Flame Tsuna is able to utilize the power of the Earth Flame and uses its Gravity Manipulation powers.
- Flame-Enhanced Punch: Tsuna coats his arms in Sky Flames and punches the target.
- In the AWA fics, Tsunayoshi is already the leader of the Neo Vongola.
- In the AWA fics, Tsunayoshi is related to Ichigo Momomiya.
- His nickname, "Tsuna", is often connected to "tuna." His bedroom door has a tuna fish with his name on it. A common shorthand of his name used among fans is "27", while his Hyper Dying Will Mode is "72" the opposite of normal Tsuna. In Japanese, 2 sounds like "Tsu" and 7 is pronounced "Nana"; hence, "Tsu-na."
- Tsuna's hair has been unkempt since birth; not even conditioner can smooth it down.
- He is the first Japanese descendant of Giotto to inherit the position of Vongola boss: generations two to nine are Italian and Iemitsu cannot inherit it due to being CEDEF boss.
- According to Reborn, he's popular with his subordinates.
- Some of his possessions have the number "27" on them, such as the dormant form of the X-Gloves, his airbike, his special earphones, and some of his clothes.
- Tsuna's pride is his friends and comrades.
- Tsuna's syllables backwards is pronounced Natsu.