Tsubaki Nakatsukasa is one of the main characters of the Soul Eater anime and manga.
Black☆Star's agreeable and level-headed Dark Demon Blade partner. She can change into multiple ninja weapons (shuriken, smoke bomb, a katana, etc).
In the AWA fics, Tsubaki is a student at the AWA Academy and is a part of Class 2.
In the XP4 fics, Tsubaki debuted in XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!.
Tsubaki is a tall, attractive and rather well-endowed young woman of Japanese descent of around sixteen or seventeen years old. She wears a pale yellow, sleeveless outfit with a skirt end that has a slit down the side with a bright yellow star emblazoned on the right side of the chest. She also wears a dark brown scarf and a tight dark brown stocking on her right leg starting just above the knee and white boots. She wears a sash that looks similar to Black☆Star's grey riveted straps that wraps around her waist twice and hangs down diagonally from right to left. She has long black hair tied up in a ponytail and large indigo eyes. Occasionally, like when she is bathing or playing basketball, her ponytail and the strands of hair at the side of her face are tied up into 'loops.' Upon using the Uncanny Sword, her hair is loose, with tattoos that are the same pattern as Black☆Star's. She wears grey and black bandages on her arms from the shoulder down, and wears a sweatband with a star symbol on it on each of her wrists.
Upon joining Spartoi, Tsubaki's attire has changed completely. Like Black☆Star, she now wears a sleeveless white top with stitches going down the middle and a black scarf around her neck. She now wears blue shorts tied with a black belt, with a small pouch attached marked with a star symbol. Like Black☆Star, she wears white bandages on her arms below her shoulders, although some black bandages can be seen near her shoulders too. On her right leg, she has a long plain back stocking, whilst on her left, she has several black bands wound around her leg. Her shoes are also black, unlike the rest of the Spartoi members, who wear white shoes.
As one of the oldest of the main cast of characters, Tsubaki is one of the most mature characters, along with Maka. However, she is not as short-tempered as the Scythe Meister, and is very patient and forgiving. She, like Maka, demonstrates a much more practical and level headed personality than most of the other characters. She has a very magnanimous, polite and gentle personality and always tries to help or comfort her friends even when she has no idea how to help. She is caring and understanding and sometimes acts as the mediator when her friends fight, and her understanding and insight sometimes makes her the agony aunt figure for people who are troubled. She cares deeply for her friends, and does not seem fond of things that might make them upset, even going so far as to suggest to Soul and Black☆Star to nullify the dare Maka has to do after she loses the basketball game, due to not knowing the rules. She often worries about her friends if they are in danger, and is upset when the people she cares about are hurt.
Tsubaki is a member of the Heroes Coalitions and is part of the Deadly Hearts. She also attends Vanguard Academy as a student.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!
In Chapter 2, Tsubaki alongside her team, the Deadly Hearts took on a group of Somalian Pirates in island somewhere in Sweet-Somalia. After defeating the pirates, the team were thanked by the island's residents when Major Richard Stronghold arrives and they told him that they'll be staying in the island for several more days.
Full-Weapon Transformation - Coming from a special weapons clan and therefore a Demon Weapon. Tsubaki is capable of transforming her body into a given weapon at will.
- Wavelength Control - As a Demon Weapon, Tsubaki has the natural ability to control her Meister's Wavelength. She can adjust the resonance level between her and Black☆Star, allowing her to even adjust the weight of her weapon forms by making it the normal weight of a selected weapon or making it lighter.
- Multi-Form - Multi-Form allows Tsubaki the ability to transform into more then one weapon form, unlike the usual one weapon transformation. Although through an unknown cause and once speculated by Masamune to be a mutation, she inherited this ability over her brother due to being from the Nakatsukasa Clan. This ability originates from the fact that Tsubaki is one of the direct descendants of the first Demon Weapons created by Arachne Gorgon herself.
- Tsubaki Mode Change: Transformation - A special mode in which allows Tsubaki to transform into a given person and/or Meister and take on their physical appearance (a "dummy"). When taking on Black☆Star's appearance, she dubs it Dummy☆Star.
- Tsubaki Mode Change: Smoke Bomb - One of Tsubaki's various transformation is that of a smoke bomb. This transformation allows her to create thick cloud of smoke to conceal her Meister's movements.
- Tsubaki Mode Change: Ninja Sword - One of Tsubaki's forms takes the appearance of a ninjatō. Due to it's small size, it is used most often for quick movements.
- Tsubaki Mode Change: Shuriken - One of Tsubaki's weapon transformation in which transforms her into a large shuriken and is the common fictional shape of a five-point star as well as being light grey in colour with three dark grooves along one side of each point, the other sides having a dark grey edge, and two yellow dots in the center of the shuriken, resembling a face. The shuriken weapon form can be throw like that of ordinary ninja star with capabilities of cutting through Human and Werewolf flesh.
- Tsubaki Mode Change: Chain Scythe - A transformation of Tsubaki in which she takes the form of a long metal chain with each end of the chain tipped with a yellow handle that has a small double-edged and double-pointed scythe blade attached. Three dark grooves appear below each blade. This weapon can be used in both close-range combat and also long-range as the scythe blades can be thrown at an opponent as an attack, or as a means to trap them to make them wide open for a close-range attack. Tsubaki's Chain Scythe form is also used by Black☆Star to execute a number of other special moves. The chain on this Weapon form can alter, becoming long or shorter.
- Tsubaki Mode Change: Uncanny Sword - Absorbed from her brother after consuming his soul, this is perhaps Tsubaki's most powerful transformation. Being exclusive to the members of the Nakatsukasa Clan, this lets her take the form of a Nodachi (a really long katana) with a black blade and a bandage-wrapped hilt and the power of controlling her Meister's shadow.
- Shadow☆Star Form - After gaining the Uncanny Sword transformation from the consumption of her brother's soul and unlocking the usage of the Uncanny Sword, Tsubaki is capable of entering inside the Uncanny Sword as well as bring her own Meister, Black☆Star, into said place. While doing so, her appearance change. In this appearance, she appears to have a golden body and retains most of her physical features with the exception of black tattoos around her eyes. While in this appearance within the Uncanny Sword, she can control her Meister's shadow.
Enhanced Reflexes: Tsubaki's reflexes enables her to be able to dodge gunfire at near point-blank range even when closing her own eyes.
Enhanced Speed: Tsubaki is quick enough to keep up with Black☆Star's own speed.
Intellect: Tsubaki is noted to be rather intelligent and competent. She understands the Meister/Weapon combination and how to stop the Uncanny Sword's ability. Her competence has been noted by Mifune to have saved Black☆Star.
Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Tsubaki possess some skill in hand-to-hand combat similar to her Meister, Black☆Star. Capable of mimicking his own style of fighting when using the Shadow☆Star: Fourth Form - Branched Darkness technique, she was capable of performing a successful sneak attack on Mifune. The former even praised her capability in her movements being graceful.
- Martial Arts: Much like her Meister, Tsubaki has skill in martial arts.
- Art of Assassination - Tsubaki herself is aware of the rules of assassination and unlike her Meister (for a time), was a dutiful follower of it's rules. Her skill in it' supplementary uses seemingly surpasses Black☆Star, capable of controlling her breathing to the point Mifune could barely sense her.
Weaponry Combatant: Tsubaki is capable of using various weaponry such as a ninjato, shuriken, and a chain scythe in combat.
Disguise: Combined with her Mode: Dummy☆Star, Tsubaki is capable of disguising herself as other individuals, namely Black☆Star. This includes mimicking their mannerism.
Exceptional Soul: Death himself noted that Tsubaki's strongest quality is not within her multi-form ability, but the strength of her soul. This is seen when she resists the Soul Possession capability of the Uncanny Sword.
Throwing: Tsubaki is skilled at throwing shurikens, having hit Black☆Star on the head with one multiple times.
Shinigami Smoke Bomb: Tsubaki carries a special smoke bomb capable of contacting Shinigami's Mirror in the Death Room with the smoke used as a refelcting surface.
Shurikens: Tsubaki carries standard shurikens on her persons.
Ninja Swords: Tsubaki carries two, dual ninja swords on her persons.
- Tsubaki' is a reference to the Japanese camellia flower. The kanji in her last name, 'Naka' means 'inside' whilst 'Tsukasa' is a word usually used as a verb, meaning 'to endeavor'.