Tenten is a character from Naruto anime and manga.
A weapon specialist and like her teammates, Tenten is vaguely Chinese-themed. She seems to have an attraction to pretty boys and falls for a few. Even one that later turned out to be a girl! She also forms a comedy team with Rock Lee during a number of filler appearances, always playing the straight man.
In the XP4 fics, Tenten debuted in XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!.
In the AWA fics, Tenten is a student at the AWA Academy and is part of Class 4.
Tenten has black hair and grey eyes, both of which are depicted as dark brown in the anime. She wears her hair in two Chinese-style buns on her head with short fringe-bangs framing her face. She keeps this hairstyle consistent throughout Parts I and II. In The Last: Naruto the Movie, her hair buns are braided and held together by a short plait that falls just below her shoulders. As an adult, her braided-buns are still kept, but her straight bangs cover her forehead.
Tenten's outfits serve as a reference to Chinese culture. In Part I, she wears a pink sleeveless qipao-style blouse (initially depicted as blue in the manga) with red sleeve trimmings and yellow fastening buttons and dark green pants. A pouch is adjusted to her thigh and her forehead protector and sandals are both blue. In Part II, Tenten sports a long-sleeved, high-collared white blouse with maroon edges, black fingerless gloves, low-heeled sandals and a black forehead protector. She wears maroon, puffy hakama-styled pants with the exposed parts covered in bandages and the shuriken holster removed. She usually carries a large scroll behind her back. During the Fourth Shinobi World War, Tenten wears the standard Konoha infantry flak jacket and assorted clothing, along with a holster around her waist that carries two small scrolls.
In The Last: Naruto the Movie, Tenten wears a white sleeveless, high-collared qipao dress with red trimmings and a pink flame pattern on the left, tied with a maroon obi. Underneath, she has fishnet leg stockings and black high-heeled boots. She no longer wears her gloves and forehead protector, but wears a pair of black scrolls around her wrists like bangles, and has two scrolls in the colour of green and light grey strapped on her lower back.
As an adult, Tenten once again wears the similar outfit she wore in Part II, while sporting red dangling tassel-like earrings.
Tenten is depicted as naturally inquisitive and observant, with a personal dream to become a legendary kunoichi like Tsunade. This has led to her to become strongly opinionated about women, defending that girls can be just as skilled as boys in taijutsu when Neji thought otherwise. Tenten exhibits a distaste for weakness or being overly dependent on other people. Though she can be quite fierce at times, Tenten is kind and caring toward others, comforting her friends when they are going through a hard time.
Being around her overly enthusiastic teammates, particularly Might Guy and Rock Lee, Tenten is often left exasperated at their antics and wishes they would behave more maturely; her Infinite Tsukuyomidream actually depicts this. She is more easy-going and dislikes having to travel for whole days or continue training when she is already tired, for which reason she enjoys her days-off from missions. However, she cares greatly about her team, helping to go save Lee during the Chūnin Exams when he didn't report back at their base. She also held great respect for her other teammate Neji Hyūga and often helped him train.
Naturally Tenten, who was a ninja-tool user, loves ninja weapons to the point that she collects every ninja tool from all over the world as a hobby. Moreover, her hobby developed so much that she even opened a full-fledged ninja tool shop.
Tenten is a member of the Heroes Coalitions and is part of the Dream Team. She also attends the Vanguard Academy as a student.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!
In Chapter 11, Tenten, alongside her team, the Dream Team, infiltrated the Bennington Adam's All-Boys High School in hopes of turning the students of the school in a new leaf. After defeating a group of students, Tenten and everyone met up with the school's leader, Akira Nova. After Medaka Kurokami challenged Akira in a one-on-one fight, Tenten and the others took a step back as they watches their leader takes on Akira.
Tenten is a highly skilled and capable kunoichi; her skills being held in high regard by her team. By Part II, she became a chūnin, capable of pressuring the likes of Kisame Hoshigaki with the aid of her teammates. As an adult, Tenten is remarked as a kunoichi who excelled at space–time ninjutsu, which she can use to summon puppets equipped with a kunai-firing gun.
Tenten is able to wield a variety of weapons with great proficiency, such as the manriki-gusari and bō. She could even effectively wield a weapon that she had no prior knowledge on, like the Jidanda and Bashōsen. Also, as noted by her teammates, Tenten is an excellent marksman, hitting 100/100 marks each time. By adulthood, Tenten is considered to be Konoha's top weapon user.
Tenten is very skilled in the use of fūinjutsu. Her usual method is to storea numerous amount of weapons into her scrolls, which she can later unseal to bombard her opponents with. She could attach explosive tagsto the weapons to make them more lethal, and use wire strings to better guide the weapons' trajectory. In the anime, she could use her two small scrolls to perform the Twin Rising Dragons, a technique where she manually launches a variety of weapons in rapid succession. In Part II, she wields a large scroll, which carries even more weapons. In the anime, she can use the scroll to perform the Manipulated Tools: Heavenly Chain Disaster, a technique that rains down a multitude of weapons onto an opponent and covers a wide range.
In the anime, Tenten has shown to seal more than just weapons into her scrolls, such as a fire dragonthat explodes upon contact, and a metal dome for defence against attacks. She can even store objects as large as a ship, or a large body of water.
- The name "Tenten" literally means "heaven, heaven". It can also mean "little by little", "this and that", "here and there" or "dot" in Japanese. It is also a possibility that her name insinuates "ten out of ten", as a reference to her marksmanship or one of the names for a Japanese ellipsis meaning "mark-mark", referring to her use of targets with bukijutsu.
- Tenten has slowly been improving her ranking in the Naruto character popularity polls. She placed 24th in the first and fifth, 30th in the second, 29th in the third and ninth and most recent poll, 22nd in the third and 15th in the seventh. That is her highest rank in all of the polls. She is not in the top 30 in the eighth poll.
- In an interview, Kishimoto said he preferred Tenten out of the four Konoha 11 girls because he liked her design.
- Like the rest of her team, Tenten's character seems to draw inspiration from Chinese culture as seen from her attire and hairstyle, the Chinese style Chignon.
- According to the databook(s):
- Her hobby is fortune-telling.
- Tenten would like to have a rematch with Temari, and she would also like to fight Tsunade's apprentice, Sakura Haruno.
- Her favourite foods are Sesame dumplings and Chinese food, while her least favourite is pickled plums.
- Tenten's favourite phrase is "A hundred shots, a hundred bull's-eyes" (百発百中, Hyappatsu Hyakuchū).
- Tenten has completed 62 official missions in total: 28 D-rank, 23 C-rank, 3 B-rank, 7 A-rank, 1 S-rank.
- Tenten loves to investigate.
- Tenten and Neji have the same theme in the anime, but Tenten's has a slower beat.
- In original colour illustrations of the manga, Tenten's costume is blue. This is changed to pink in the anime and later manga images.
- In the omake for episode 209, her name is written in Chinese: 天天.
- On the back of Hyō no Sho, her hair colour is black rather then brown.
- In the Road to Boruto downloadable content for Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, Tenten is a jōnin.