Setsuna Sakurazaki is one of the main characters from the Mahou Sensei Negima anime and manga.
Setsuna is the 15th student in Japanese alphabetical order of class 2/3-A, she is a half-demon hanyō from Kyoto, sent to Mahora Academy to be the guardian of Konoka Konoe, the daughter of the Kansai Magic Association's leader. Although friends with Konoka from a young age, she ends up distancing herself from her due to a childhood accident, but is forced to come to terms and protect her as Konoka's dormant magical abilities makes her a target for other mages. A master of Shinmei-ryū swordsmanship, her abilities and skills makes her ally with Negi Springfield, developing another crucial friendship and allying her as a major member of his developing magical forces.
In the AWA fics, Setsuna is a student at the AWA Academy.
Setsuna has a long black hair tied in a sidetail similar to a feather, and has dark-brown eyes. She usually wears her Mahora Academy uniform.
A native of Kyoto, she is a childhood friend of Konoka and serves as her guardian. At that time she would often call Konoka both 'Kono-chan' and 'Ojō-sama' interchangeably. Initially merely a guardian of Konoka when they were children, she stopped speaking to her after an incident where her ojōsamaaccidentally fell into a river and she could not save her. Punishing herself even with Konoka choosing to ignore the failure, she chose merely to protect her without speaking a word to her, even as both of them eventually end up in the same class at Mahora Academy. Some of the characters believe that she has romantic feelings for Konoka because of various hints, but this is subtext, while Yue herself thinks of it as nothing more than a mere misunderstanding by everyone. Although extremely devoted to Konoka, Setsuna feels unworthy of protecting her, and tries to maintain an atmosphere of impersonality.
Master Swordsmanship Specialist - Setsuna's fighting style, Shinmei-ryū, is the same as Motoko Aoyamafrom Love Hina, and she can execute techniques familiar to those who read LH, like Zanganken, Zankūsen, and Hyakka Ryōran.
Chi (Ki) Abilities - Besides her fighting skills, Setsuna also has some ability to manipulate magic as part of her combat training; for example, she can use paper dolls to create doppelgangers of other people. She can also transfer part of her ki or life force into a paper doll, resulting in a super deformed version of herself called Chibi-Setsuna.
Hanyō - As a hanyō (in her case, half-crow demon), she possesses albino crow wings which she can use to fly.
- Zanganken - is a technique where the user infuses ki into the sword with enough power to cut a boulder in half.
- Zanmaken - is a technique where the user is capable of hitting spirits.
- Zanmaken Ni-no-Tachi - is an ultimate Shinmei-ryūexorcising technique, a sword attack that originally began as a method of cutting down evil spirits without harming the possessed. The practitioner can choose ‘what’ the attack hits.
- Raimeiken - is a slashing attack performed when the blade is charged with electricity. It can cause a giant lightning explosion upon impact with the target.
- Kyokudai Raimeiken - is a technique where the user initiates a more powerful and larger-scale version of the Raimeiken.
- Hyakuretsu Ōkazan - is a technique where the user sweep in circle with the sword and cuts multiple enemies at once by using a countless number of blades.
- Zankūsen - is a a sweeping sword technique that releases ki in a circular fashion to cut the enemy with the wave released.
- Zantetsusen - is a sword attack capable of destroying metal.
- Hyakka Ryōran - is a destructive sword attack which releases ki and flower petals in a straight line along the blade.
- Zankūshō-San - is a sweeping barrage of slashing ki shots launched from the hand.
- Ōrō Gekka - is a ki-based strike emitted from the palm. It can be used to counter an opponent’s attack.
- Ukigumo - Tsumuji Issen - is a throwing technique which uses an opponent’s momentum to push him backwards and upwards into a spinning flip. this is done by the using grabbing onto the opponent's shoulder while locking one foot behind the opposite leg and ankle, then flipping oneself into the air, bringing the opponent with them before knocking them into the ground.
- Ukigumo - Sakura Sanka - is a throwing technique which uses both legs to hold the opponent’s head, followed by a back flip driving the opponent into the ground.
- Shiten Kekkai Dokko Rengaku - is a Shinmei-ryū barrier technique where a defensive pyramid-shaped bounded field created by five single-pronged Vajras, four thrown to the ground in a square around the practitioner and one suspended above the head.
- Inatsurubi No Katama - is a Shinmei-ryū barrier technique an offensive binding bounded field created by thrown shuriken or Vajras, isolating and stunning the target in an electrified ‘cage.’ Setsuna can also perform this with her Pactio Sica Shishikushiro.
Pactio: Gladiaria Alata - Setsuna has currently formed two Pactios; one with Negi in Chapter 47 and one with Konoka.
- Sica Shishikushiro: Setsuna's Pactio with Negi. A complementary shōtō, or, wakizashi, is Setsuna's pactio item. In addition to being an extra blade, it is able to multiply into 16 copies and attack the target like a swarm of wasps.
- Shika Shishikuro- Setsuna uses her artifact full force by creating and using all 16 blades at once.
- Takemikazuchi: Setsuna's Pactio with Konoka shows her in a maid outfit with cat ears and her wings. It's a sword that is made up of three pieces: a double edged-blade and a separate hilt which are connected in suspension by a glowing orb located at the middle of the sword. By recieving energy from Konoka, Setsuna can make the sword grow even larger. In Anime Final, the sword is connected to the handle and is a curved sword with the sphere still floating between the hilt and blade, and doesn't enlarge when Konoka charges it with her energy, only make the strikes more powerful.
- She is half human/crow youkai
- Setsuna shares her character song with Konoka titled Never give up.