Sakura Kinomoto is the main character from the Card Captor Sakura anime and manga.
Sakura wanders in her father's basement one day and accidentally sets loose a deck of nineteen/fifty-two tarot-like magical cards, each containing a magical spirit, into the wild. Annoyed, the book's guardian Cerberus (Kero-chan) declares her the new Cardcaptor who has to track them down and recapture them. Tagging along on the chase is her best friend Tomoyo and rival Syaoran.
In the AWA fics, Sakura is a student at the AWA Academy and is part of Class 2.
In the XP4 fics, Sakura debuted in the XP4 Heroes Coalition - Neo-City Diaries.
In the anime, Sakura has short brown hair, fair skin, and emerald green eyes. In certain manga sketches and official artwork, this sometimes changes. In addition to her anime hair and eyes, her hair is sometimes colored auburn, her eyes are sometimes colored grey or blue, and her skin is sometimes snow white. As a child, she is naturally short in height, but slowly grows as the years pass by.
Sakura's outfits change frequently throughout the series. Her most iconic everyday outfit is her school uniform, as well as her battle outfit, which changes depending on the season. Her winter school uniform is a black long sleeved shirt with red and white sleevecuffs, a white neckerchief with a red stripe, and a white pleated miniskirt with a frilly white knee-length petticoat. On particularly cold days, she wears a thick black coat with her schools insignia on the back. Her summer uniform is a white half-sleeved shirt with a red neckerchief and a black pleated miniskirt. All year round, black Mary Jane shoes are worn along with white socks and a white sailor hat with a black trim.
Sakura is an extremely energetic, cute, beautiful, sweet, cheerful and a very kind character. She is very athletic, being a member of her school's cheerleading squad and an excellent runner, a trait she inherited from her father. Her "invincible spell", "Everything will surely be all right.", has carried her through innumerable trials and obstacles as she masters her magical skills. Her catchphrase is "Hoe!", which is used whenever she is shocked or scared even the slightest. She also frequently shouts "KERO, NO!!!", when scolding Kero.
She often comes across as naïve, clumsy, dense and clueless, but she has her perceptive moments on occasion. Her favorite foods are omelet and noodles with seafood and her favorite recipe is pancakes. Her birthday is on April the first. She hates Mathematics, loves Gym and Music, and her blood type is A.
Sakura's optimistic and trustworthy character allows her to be friendly with everybody, she is very outgoing and the entire series focuses on the friendships she creates with people, whether strangers, loose acquaintances, or rivals. In fact, her personality is a dominating factor in her relationships, especially with Syaoran Li. Though sometimes she's quite gullible and believes what everyone tells her, her charm can win over anyone (as shown with Syaoran in the series). She's also known to be very scared of ghosts.
She became scared of ghosts because her brother, who could see spirits, would usually point them out. Though she couldn't see them, the descriptions of having 'one eye' or 'missing a hand' would frighten her. Therefore she felt a deep fear of ghosts from a young age. Ironically, she has no fear of Clow Cards. This is apparent when Sakura finds out that the ghost in the park is actually a Clow Card and was no longer scared by it. She is known to be clueless about things relating to herself but perceptive of others. Though when she finds out information about her friends, she usually keeps quiet about it.
Despite her sweet nature, cuteness and beauty, Sakura has been shown to have a very vicious temper. This is often seen when Toya insults her by calling her a monster and once when she and Kero got into a fight. Her temper is sometimes so vicious that it once scared Toya.
Sakura is a member of the Heroes Coalitions and is part of The Dream Express. She also attends the Vanguard Academy as a student.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Neo-City Diaries
In Chapter 5, Sakura is seen alongside Mato Kuroi, Taro Yamada, Dac, Red, Karizza Stronghold, Kaoru Matsubara, Maya Sparrow, Haru Glory, Shana, Sylvia van Hossen and Erena Reese are seen gathered inside the training area in the Training Facility. They all wonder about the decreased members in their group when Vegeta arrives and revealed that a lot of trainees drops out, much to their shock. Later, Son Goku arrives and reassured everyone that training goes on, Goku then ordered everyone to do a 500 laps, much to their dread and annoyance, Goku then minimized it to 20 laps.
In Chapter 6, Sakura is seen alongside Lyndel Flamburge in the lounge area of the Training Camp. They were then joined by Regan Bladeworks and had a conversation. They then witnessed Nora Valkyrie smashing Alden Cole into the ceiling.
In Chapter 14, Sakura is seen at the bleachers of the Training Camp listening to Dan Mandel's rant over Wesley Bryans' flaws. She later glared at Dan in disapproval after Dan threw a ball at Wesley.
In Chapter 19, Sakura met the new recruits Eddy Skipper McGee, Marcus "The Kane" McGee, Eddward Marion "Double D, Edd" Smith, Edwin Horace "Ed" Williams and Rolf Yrmi. During the training session with the Heavy, Sakura witnessed Double D accidentally tossing a heavy disk backwards and hitting Eddy on the head, knocking him out silly. Later that night and after a whole day of training, Sakura took part of the little get-together at the training facility's cafeteria.
Magical Power-Level: Throughout the Clow Card arc, Keroberos's comments seem to imply that Sakura's innate magical powers and abilities strengthen and increase to even higher levels as she battles and captures more Cards. In contrast of this, in the second half of the series, Sakura’s inexperience is shown as she often collapses after transforming the cards. However, as she becomes progressively proficient in changing Clow Cards into Sakura Cards, she becomes less tired and more aware of Clow Reed's presence.
During the last of Eriol's trials, she is able to transform the last remaining eight Clow Cards into Sakura Cards at once. In the aftermath of this final battle it is revealed that Clow Reed reincarnated into two people; the first being Sakura's father, the second being Eriol. Clow Reed designed it this way as to split his power to allow Sakura to become the strongest magician in the world, even greater than himself.
In "Sakura and Ahiko's Lullaby", Keroberos realizes that her magic has gotten immensely stronger, strong enough to show the past; an ability only Clow Reed and three other top-level magicians were capable of.
- Origin: After the Final Judgement, Clow Reed tells her that her magic seems to be drawn from the power and ability of the stars, which may start small, but are ever-shining with their own brilliant light. However, it should be noted that like Clow Reed's magic, Sakura's is a balance of sun and moon magic.
- Prophetic Dreaming: Sakura is able to see future events through her dreams, including the Final Judgement and meeting various characters throughout the series. In the manga Sakura also dreams about the past, including the day Clow died. However it may be that these dreams were due to Clow's supremely powerful magic. It is noted at the end of the manga that, if she wishes, Sakura could see into the future.
- Use of the Clow Cards: Sakura's main weapon is the Clow Cards, which first had their own magic, but had to be transformed so that they would draw power from her as "Sakura Cards".
- Sakura is the first character from Card Captor Sakura to be introduced in the AWA fics.
- Sakura's surname, "Kinomoto" has the Kanji for "book" in it. This may be a joke as to her adventures with the Clow Cards that all started when she found the Clow book in her father's library.
- Sometimes, during cheerleading practice, especially during baton throwing, Sakura will occasionally get distracted, causing the baton to hit her on the head which seems to be a running gag in the series.
- Often skates to school and has her own custom-made rollerblades and gloves with her name on them.
- Whenever she's distracted or shocked, she says "Hoeeee!" which is what she says in the Tokyopop manga although it's later changed to "Phwee?".
- Sakura is said to like music and gym class.
- Sakura is said to dislike math (although later on in the manga, she states that she's starting to get the hang of it).
- She is on the cheer squad.
- Her favorite foods are rice omelets and noodles.
- She dislikes Konnyaku.
- Her favorite colors are pink and white.