Reisen Udongein Inaba is a character from the Touhou Project games.
Reisen is one of the legendary moon rabbits who fled from the Moon to Earth as a refugee from the "Lunar War" between the two worlds that began in 1969 A.D. after the Apollo 11 "invasion". Making her way to Gensokyo, she was surprised to meet the notorious fugitives Kaguya Houraisan and Eirin Yagokoro, and asked for asylum in Eientei. In exchange, she works for and protects Kaguya and Eirin.
In the AWA fics, Reisen is a student at the AWA Academy and is part of Class 5.
Reisen has red eyes, long light-purple hair and long rumpled rabbit ears - like all members of the Lunar Defense Corps, her ears stand up straight and are decorated with two accoutrement-like buttons. Her outfit consists of a long-sleeved black business suit over a white shirt, along with a beige skirt, white socks and red shoes. Her left lapel is decorated with a crescent moon-shaped insignia, and a pocket square in her left shirt pocket.
In Phantasmagoria of Flower View Reisen's jacket is removed and she wears a purple skirt. There is a clip on her necktie in the shape of a carrot, identical to Tewi Inaba's. Her alternate outfit makes her shirt black and her tie yellow.
In Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, she wears a short-sleeved white shirt, a red belt and a blue skirt. Her alternate outfit gives her a dark green dress, ears and eyes, and a light green shirt and hair.
In Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom, she wears the same short-sleeved shirt, but with a violet belt and a light red skirt.
In Urban Legend in Limbo, she wears an outfit similar to her previous playable appearance, with the exception of her skirt, which now has a white horizontal stripe near the bottom of the skirt, and her belt, which is now red. The carrot-shaped necktie clip is larger compared to her previous one. Her hair now reaches past her legs and her socks are now unfolded and reaches her knee. Her tail is noticably large in her artwork in the game.
Reisen seems to have one of the more stable and balanced personalities in Gensokyo despite her insanity-inducing powers.
Throughout the Touhou Project, she has always being referred to as moon rabbit. However, in Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom, only someone with impurity can confront Junko. Reisen realizes that living on Earth for too long has tainted her with impurity, thus allowing her to save the Lunar Capital. Knowing that she can no longer return to being a moon rabbit again, she now proudly proclaims herself to be an earth rabbit of Gensokyo.
- Manipulation of Insanity
Reisen has the ability to sense and manipulate waves of all kinds, localised in her "Lunatic Red Eyes". Her signature use of this ability is manipulating brain waves through eye contact, allowing her to induce madness or hallucinations depending on the strength of her opponent's will. By increasing the frequency of brainwaves she can make a person short-tempered and irrational, or by reducing them can leave her target apathetic and depressed.
Reisen can also manipulate light and sound waves to deceive the senses indirectly, from concealing the paths of her danmaku, to creating after-images of herself, to casting wide-area illusions that cause people to get lost. Finally, she is capable of releasing waves from her eyes in a destructive blast.
Reisen is immune to the abilities of the Three Fairies of Light (seeing an invisible Sunny Milk, hearing a silent Luna Child, and escaping Star Sapphire's detection) since they are based on waves, though she seems unable to replicate Star Sapphire's abilities with her own.
- Moon rabbit abilities
Moon rabbits can send "ESP waves" and receive them with their ears, forming a sort of psychic network where they share feelings and rumors. Reisen can still participate in this network despite the physical and spiritual distance between Gensokyo and the Moon. Reisen has been depicted transmitting ESP waves from her eyes, but it is unknown whether this is the usual method or an example of her general wave manipulation abilities (or indeed, if her wave manipulation is just an advanced form of this ability).
- Reisen is the first character from Touhou Project to be introduced in the AWA fics.
- Reisen's right hand is often depicted to be making a gun shape, which leads to fan assumption that she shoots danmaku in this manner, and she indeed does in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. Some fans even depict Reisen holding an actual handgun in artwork. Those are all based on ZUN's word that her normal shots were modeled after a bullet. The revelation in Silent Sinner in Blue that all Moon Defense Corps Rabbits are drilled with rifles suggests that Reisen can also use the real thing.
- In Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom she is effectively seen holding what seems to be a bunny-themed handgun. Same goes for the PlayStation 4 version of Urban Legend in Limbo where she is seen holding a rifle, complete with a magazine, that resembles her bunny-looking handgun. In both Urban Legend in Limbo and in Antinomy of Common Flowers, the handgun is seemingly able to transform into several different variants, including an automatic rifle and shotgun. Reisen is also seen dual-wielding the handguns in some attacks, so it's likely she has more than one. It's unknown whether she took them from the Lunar Capital when she fled or if somebody else made them.
- Reisen's alternate outfit in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and Touhou Hisoutensoku is a homage to the Vocaloid Miku Hatsune. Her other alternate outfits in Hisoutensoku are also homages to fellow Vocaloids Rin and Len Kagamine, Luka Megurine, Meiko, Kaito, Gakupo Kamui and Gumi.
- In her official profile of Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom, despite Reisen being a moon rabbit, she is marked as a human. This was stated to be an error by ZUN on the 28 May 2015 session of Nikenme Radio.