Patricia "Patty" Thompson is one of the main characters from the Soul Eater anime and manga.
One of Kid's Double Team Demon Guns and the younger of the Thompson sisters. Her personality yo-yos between childish cloud cuckoo lander and insanely grinning badass, typically acting as the meister for her sister when Kid isn't available.
In the XP4 fics, Patty debuted in XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!.
In the AWA fics, Patty is a student at the AWA Academy and is part of Class 8.
Patty is mostly seen speaking in a sing-song voice, as she often says '♪' after her main speech. She acts and speaks like a young child. She pronounces words like "hello" and "sorry", as a child would "hullo" and "sowwy", and seems to still be learning about simple things such as assigning animal noises to the right animal. She is certainly unaware of more complex concepts, such as those of genders other than simply male and female. However, these may not have been explained to her due to her generally childish demeanor and inability to understand a lot of things, as exemplified by Liz congratulating her on simply getting animal names right. This lack of knowledge may be due to her growing up on the streets and presumably not having a formal education.
Her current personality differs from the seemingly aggressive personality she had during her time in Brooklyn, developing her current personality after she met Kid. Unlike her sister Liz, Patty enjoys the drama brought on by Kid's perfectionist attitude; though she does cheer him up when he gets down on himself about it.
She seems naïve and simple-minded, seeming not to take life seriously. While Patty had these traits before moving to Death City, such as being delighted that Kid referred to her and Liz as beautiful or patting her backside at people she robbed, such simple mindedness was far more violent and nefarious. With time working at Deathbucks Café, Patty would spend off-time building a dragon sculpture out of napkins and frightening Tsugumi Harudori with her ghost Halloween outfit. When taking an important written exam, instead of answering questions, Patty took out crayons and began making an origami giraffe out of her test papers, then "broke its neck." When showering, she scrubs so much shampoo through her hair that she forms suds all over her body. She also seems fascinated by the smallest details, such as children's alphabet books or a hairclip. She frequently laughs, even when something bad happens. For example, when Kid bemoans his asymmetry and says he "want[s] to die," Patty responds with laughter: "Kya ha ha! ♪" and, at other times when he is depressed, even poking him with a stick.
On the few occasions when she loses her temper, her childlike personality is replaced by an almost insane anger, as if her personality returns to how she behaved when a criminal in Brooklyn. Her demeanor can be so frightening that it scares Kid, even to the point of risking running through an asymmetric Tadpole Bomb minefield. Whether these qualities count as her own form of madness has yet to be clarified.
When confronting some serious topics, and dangerous situations, Patty's childishly naïve personality is replaced with a more serious personality, suggesting that her bubbly personality may be a mask or merely how she wants to act. Upon learning that Kim Diehl was scared away from the Academy on accusations of being a witch, she and Liz both looked serious. After Kid is captured by Noah, Patty angrily called her sister a coward and demanded they attack Noah. When Liz broke down crying, Patty showed a surprising amount of maturity by comforting her sister.
When having her gender switched inside the Book of Eibon, Patty's personality leans towards his more crazed side, with a higher amount of aggression as he threatens to "beat (Index) up" with a sadistic look on his face.
Patty appears to be physically older than Kid, Black☆Star, Soul, and Maka. She has chin-length, bright blonde hair with bangs and light blue eyes. Liz is taller and thinner than Patty: upon their arrival in Death City, Liz is 170 centimeters tall (about 5 feet 7 inches), and Patty is 160 centimeters (about 5 feet 3 inches). Patty's breasts are large also much more in size than her sister, and these and other physical differences between the sisters annoy their meister, Kid, as it makes the sisters asymmetrical in their human form.
Like Liz, Patty's soul has a pink color and has two curved triangles resembling the corners of her hat that was part of her initial outfit as Kid's weapon.
In her Demon Pistol form, Patty has an identical appearance as Liz, that of a silver-themed Beretta M9 Pistol. The handle-grip is black and has a small Death mask on it. On the slide assembly are three darker silver triangles next to each other, resembling teeth. Patty and Liz collect the souls by drawing them into the pistol's magazine, and they fired a meister's compressed wavelength rather than bullets, such compressed wavelengths appearing pink as they fire.
When living on the streets of New York, Patty wore a sleeveless top with thin straps, and pants with a worn-out spot on the right knee. When Kid offered to take her and Liz as his weapon partners, she wore a sleeveless top with a buttoned collar and jeans.
In Liz's daydreams of Patty, she assumes a more childish appearance, wearing an oversized plaid apron dress with a ribbon tie, a white arm-length shirt, dark stockings, light dress shoes, and a large bow on the left side of her head.
Before she was released from probation, Patty, like her sister at the time, wore a DWMA location-monitoring bracelet, with a skull logo on it resembling Death's mask. When not working at Deathbucks, she wore a sleeveless top and jeans.
When working at Deathbucks Café, Patty wore the usual waitress outfit, consisting of a short skirt and a skull-shaped tiara. For Halloween, she added a Jack O'Lantern hat—even in combat.
In their initial missions as Kid's weapons, Patty and Liz wore cowgirl outfits: a tight, red, sleeveless, turtleneck belly shirt with a white tie, cowboy hat and black, high-heel boots. However, unlike Liz, Patty wears bubble shorts. There is also a subtle difference in her hat. Liz's hat has rims that slant forwards, whereas Patty's hat has rims that are in a perfect curve. Beginning with their mission to the Ghost Ship Nidhogg up until their mission to the Borscht Seven Factory, both sisters also wore white jackets over these outfits. Patty and Liz would return to these outfits, without the jackets, after returning from the Moon so Kid could go to the Witches' Realm, and they would continue to wear these outfits up through Kid's coronation as the new head of the DWMA.
When traveling through the Sahara Desert to investigate the Runaway Express, Patty and Liz wore lengthy tan cloaks and bandannas over their mouths to shield them from the hot desert Sun.
After the assassination of Joe Buttataki, Patty along with other DWMA members wore a black armband on her left bicep.
After joining Spirit Albarn and Sid Barrett to confront Risa and Arisa with accusations that they are witches, Patty and Liz wear unbuttoned dress shirts with vertical creases along the front, along with her black armband. Whereas Liz wore a dark, lengthy business skirt, Patty wore dark shorts secured with a belt.
During their infiltration of Baba Yaga Castle, Liz and Patty initially wore their usual attire at that time, the sweater tops with tall collars and ties, but with the addition of wearing a thick long sleeve jacket, with four buttons along the front. With help from Eruka Frog, they donned Arachnophobia robes over their outfits, yet somehow were able to find and change into maid outfits, consisting of dark dresses, dark ribbon ties, shoes with ribbons, and light color maids' aprons and hats. They retained these outfits for the rest of their mission infiltrating Baba Yaga Castle, even when wearing Arachnophobia robes over these outfits.
After the defeat of Arachnophobia but before the formation of Spartoi, Patty accompanied Maka and Liz to the Death City basketball court to discuss Noah's abduction of Kid. Patty, Liz, and Maka wore similar attire: a checkerboard skirt and a dress shirt. Patty's was buttoned and her tie securely drawn, and like Maka, she also wore a D-City sweater (looking similar to Meme Tatane's sweater).
In Spartoi uniform, Patty wears a zip-up top over a blue vest and a jacket with a high collar like Liz. She keeps her puffy shorts but replaces her cowboy hat with a hat that has floppy 'ears' on each side. Upon their transition into Spartoi, Patty usually retains a hat while Liz does not.
When transformed into a boy upon entering the Book of Eibon, Patty is shown to have shorter hair covered by a beanie hat. She also resembles her psychotic self a bit more, as her eyes look slightly more crazed than in her female form. She wears a white jacket and shirt and dark pants like Liz. The only difference is that Patty has the Spartoi logo on her left shoulder and a large Shinigami skull emblazoned on her back.
When accompanying Kid to Lost Island a second time, Patty wears boots with thick furlike hems, a thick hoodie jacket with similar furlike hems, tight winter pants, mittens with DWMA skull logos, and a winter cap with two symmetrical bobs at the top decorated to look like skull faces. Liz wears the same attire, only her skull cap has only one bob.
Additional official art shows Patty in a variety of outfits, including as a nurse or a light bikini.
Patty is a member of the Heroes Coalitions and is part of the Death City Squad. She also attends at Vanguard Academy as a student.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!
In Chapter 9, Patty, alongside her team, the Death City Squad, are seen in a large desert taking on several gigantic Emotionless. After defeating the creatures, Death the Kid made an urgent order to head back to Neo-City after hearing that Donzerg Stronghold plans on painting the La Lopez Memorial Museum with rainbow paint in a zigzag pattern, much to Patty's amusement and everyone's bewilderment.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Remnant Chronicles
In Chapter 1, Patty, alongside the Death City Squad, Qrow Branwen, Jaune Arc, Lie Ren and Nora Valkyrie, arrives in Mistral. They later met up with Leonardo Lionheart at the Haven Academy where Qrow told him information about the Spring Maiden but Leonard delays going after her, much to their frustration. Later that night, everyone are seen at the living room of their house when Qrow, Death the Kid and Brook arrives and introduced Oscar Pine to everyone, Oscar then revealed that he's Ozpin, much to everyone's bewilderment.
In Chapter 2, Patty, alongside the Death City Squad, Qrow Branwen, Jaune Arc, Lie Ren and Nora Valkyrie, are seen inside their current residence somewhere in Mistral where they had a conversation about Oscar Pine being Ozpin. They then witnessed Ozpin taking over Oscar, reintroducing himself, telling them his plans to retrieve the Relic of Knowledge and decided to train Oscar alongside Ruby Rose, Jaune, Ren and Nora, much to everyone's confusion and bewilderment.
In Chapter 6, Patty, alongside her team, are seen in the living room in their residence somewhere in Mistral when Qrow Branwen, Kiba Inuzuka, Akamaru, Yang Xiao Long, Weiss Schnee, Ichika Orimura and Tomomichi Motoyama arrived. Patty and the others watches Ruby Rose reunited with Yang and Weiss, much to their joy.
In Chapter 7, Patty took part of a dinner get-together at the residence somewhere in Mistral. After Ichika Orimura and Tomomichi Motoyama left for another mission in Atlas, they had a conversation about their recent experiences, Ruby Rose, Jaune Arc, Nora Valkyrie & Lie Ren revealing their Gifts and Ruby & Jaune revealing that they're a couple, much to Weiss' shock and Yang's ire. Later in the living room, they were joined by Qrow Branwen, Oscar Pine and Ozpin, everyone are present when Ozpin explains to them about the magic he gave to Qrow & Raven Branwen and detailed that everyone had a choice. After that, everyone decided to keep moving forward and decided to enjoy the rest of the night.
In Chapter 8, Patty's name is shouted by Elizabeth "Liz" Thompson.
In Chapter 10, Patty, alongside her team, Yang Xiao Long, Weiss Schnee, Jaune Arc, Lie Ren, Nora Valkyrie, Qrow Branwen and Oscar Pine/Ozpin are seen gathered in their residence somewhere in Mistral. Qrow then got a call from Leonardo Lionheart and told them to meet them in school however, Shadow the Hedgehog revealed that an ambush awaits for them, much to everyone's shock. After that, they decided to counter their enemies with an ambush of their own.
In Chapter 11, Patty, alongside her team, Qrow Branwen, Nora Valkyrie, Jaune Arc, Lie Ren, Yang Xiao Long, Weiss Schnee, Oscar Pine and a number of heroes from the Heroes Coalitions, arrives in Haven Academy and confronted Leonardo Lionheart, Cinder Fall's group, Raven Branwen and Vernal. Then both sides got into a battle with Patty taking on a number of Emotionless.
Demon Twin Guns (Ni-chō Makenjū) : With use of the Demon Twin Guns, Death the Kid is capable of using their weapon form's ability to condense his soul wavelength and fire powerful bullets capable from stunning and injuring an individual to lethal levels capable of destroying bodies (such as the likes of the Wrath of the Pharaoh) depending on the situation.
Bond Meister: Patty acts as a Bond Meister to Liz, in which means she can wield Patty due to their relationship as siblings and utilize each other as Meisters.
- Gun-Type Meister (Jū-gata Shokunin): Patty is particular skilled with the usage of a gun, namely her sister's twin gun transformation.
Transformation Exploitation: As a Demon Weapon capable of transforming and being a Meister to her twin sister, Liz has learned the ability to use transformation to her advantage and surprise her opponents. Not only does it allow for surprise, but also quick movement between her and Patty. While doing so and as she transform, she is incapable of being hurt.
Hand-to-Hand Combatant: While neither in the league of Death the Kid nor her younger sister Patty, Liz is at least competent in fighting enough to clobber ordinary citizens of Death City, especially those who threaten her sister in the anime.
Dirty Fighting: Being raised in the streets, Liz is a staunch believer in the usage of dirty fighting, dismissing fair fighting notions. Because of this, she uses any natural advantages she can and believe it to be common sense.
- Sanzu River Shot (Sansu Ribaa Shotto; FUNimation "River Syx Shot"):Kid shoots out a quick stream of bullets from each of his partners, with both Weapons aimed symmetrically. In the anime, he shoots the three shots in quick succession.
- Death Eagle .42 (,Desu Īguru Fōtītoū): After connecting the first of the Lines of Sanzu and onward, Kid can resonate with both of his weapons to unlock a more powerful gun transformation. This form significantly upgrades the caliber of Kid's usual shots, and upgrades the "soul-width" that the guns can fire their Soul Wavelength from the norm .38 to .42. From this form, the shots and techniques in which he can utilize is capable of damaging the likes of Mosquito and the members of the Clown Army , in which some within the latter were killed in a single shot.
- Sanzu Falls Shot (Sanzufōrushotto): Kid raises his arms and shots downward in a powerful steam of Soul Wavelength-powered bullets. This technique was capable of damaging Mosquito considerably and cancel out his Darkness Discord technique.
- Execution Mode (Shikei Shikkō Mōdo):With the use of his Demon Twin Guns, Death the Kid can enter a special "mode" and gain access to extremely powerful moves. This expands his Soul and Soul Wavelength and enables him to take various forms to execute his unique moveset. Part of this ability stems from his powers as a Shinigami. In addition, this "mode"also grants him some sort of scoping vision, enabling him to "lock on" onto a target as If he was watching his targets on display.
- Death Cannon (Desu Kyanon): After entering Execution Mode, the Soul Resonance between Kid and the Demon Twin Guns allow them to enter a more powerful transformation known as Death Cannon. Operating similarly, the shots in which fired from the cannon is more heavier and powerful then the ordinary gun form. It was sufficient enough to defeat Black☆Star and Soul Eater with ease as well as destroy the Mechanical Clowns.
- First and Last Certain Kill Attack: A category of techniques in which Kid can perform. While extremely powerful, the technique used require the use of Death's Wavelength and as such, cannot be again performed once done.
- Parent's Seven Rays (Pearentsu Sebunn Reizu): Using Death's Wavelength, Kid can send a powerful attack of extreme power. It is, perhaps, Kid's most powerful move witnessed. After entering Execution Mode, resonate resonate with his weapons, connect one of the Lines of Sanzu, and transform them to their Death Eagle .42 transformation, their "Wavelength circuits" connect. The next stage, known as Coffin Construction (Koffinn Kouchiku), is when Kid fabricates five small coffins that are in the shape of cannons, which subsequently proceed to float in a symmetrical formation behind him. These coffins have triggers attached to them that look like Death's mask. Connecting the second Line of Sanzu, the next stage is known as Commencing Rotation (Kaiten Kaishi) in which Death the Kid apparently makes the air in the immediate vicinity spin into a tornado, through the use of his Lines of Sanzu. The final stage, known as Coffin Release (Koffinn Kaihou), then has Kid point his weapons upward and release the coffin's covering, spreading ,multiple, powerful rays of light capable of killing the Horror Dragonand Noah (Greed), decimating the former's body.
- Sanzu Death Cannon: While within a near-death state in which he uses power from his father, Death, Kid can access his most powerful weapon transformation. After establishing a temporary three Lines of Sanzu connection, he can create a large, golden cannon in which raises the Soul Resonance rate at 2000%, far higher then any of his previous transformations. The cannon fire shoots out a green and red-colored stream in which mixes together to create a larger stream. This stream was capable of injuring Asura, knocking the latter's state from his giant form to his normal, humane form.
- Patty's initial design closely resembles that of Mana, a character from Soul Eater creator Atsushi Ōkubo's previous manga series, B. Ichi. In fact, on the cover to one issue of B. Ichi, Mana is wearing a cowboy hat almost identical to that later worn by Patty and Liz.
- Both Patty and Liz collect and store souls within their magazines in pistol form.
- Patty seems to be ambidextrous; she uses her right hand to draw or write and she shoots with her left hand.
- Patty and Liz's last name is a reference to the infamous Thompson submachine gun used by gangsters of the 1920s and 30s.
- In interviews, Atsushi Ōkubo has mentioned that he feels Patty is the character most like him, as well as Black☆Star.
- In the official popularity poll taken by the manga's readers, Patty ranked 10th.