Ochako Uraraka is one of the main characters from the My Hero Academia anime and manga.
An outgoing young girl who befriends Midoriya after he saves her during the entrance exam. She wants to become a heroine in order to earn enough money to give her parents a good life.
In the AWA fics, Ochako is a student at the AWA Academy and is part of Class 6.
In the XP4 fics, Ochako debuted in XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!.
Ochako is a normal weighted girl. She has fair skin, big round brown eyes, and shoulder-length brown hair which sports two long locks beside her face and a short bob at the back. She also has little pads on the top of each of her fingers similar to the pads on an animal's paws, which are used to activate her Quirk.
Her costume consists of a skin-tight suit with detached sleeves, knee-high boots, belt, helmet, collar, and thick, round bracers with handles attached to them. The accessories are designed to press her acupuncture points in an attempt to reduce her Quirk's drawback. The skin tightness of her costume is apparently an error due to her not being specific in her design request, though.
Ochako is a bubbly, lively person who thinks about everything positively, while still being objective enough to seeing flaws and virtues of something or someone, noticing their differences but respect them as she thinks all things/beings complement each other. She is very harmonic and empathetic in general, friendly to those she meets, and will also try to help or defend anyone that previously came to her aid, especially to her dear ones. However, Ochako can be incredibly blunt without being aware of it at times.
Similar to Izuku Midoriya, her reactions tend to be exaggerated and humorous: Ochako often becomes amused at certain personality traits and quirks others may exhibit, sometimes to the point of bursting into laughter which she tries to suppress to some extent. Because of her humble background, she easily gets excited or surprised over little things and may even lose her composure when faced with actual luxury, to the point of nearly fainting. Bonus materials have depicted Ochako as stingy, since she goes to extreme lengths to save money.
Despite those oddities, Ochako can take on an extremely determined, focused and somewhat intimidating attitude when the situation calls for it, which can come as a surprise to those who are used to her cheerful side. This side of her tends to appear during combat situations, where Ochako also demonstrates a surprisingly strategic mind, although she is not above taking more impulsive, reckless decisions. She also doesn't like to be underestimated.
When it comes to her chosen path as a hero, Ochako is unwavering, even in the face of overwhelming force. Her parents are her main driving force into becoming a professional hero, as she desires above all else to give them a comfortable life, to the point of sacrificing her own feelings at times. Being quite honest about her goals and priorities, Ochako decided to not hide her pursuit of heroism being primarily for money, despite her embarrassment over admitting so. She does this with pride, knowing that it is for her parents' benefit. After meeting Izuku, Ochako also grew to admire his own motives to become a hero and his compassionate nature, wanting to be like him of both emotional strength and combat terms, something which eventually allowed her to gain more motives to achieve her goals.
In terms of heroism, Ochako has shown more preference towards rescuing efforts, being a fan of Thirteen and their expertise in the area. However, she is also aware of her own physical limitations, instead deciding to choose the more combat-oriented hero Gunhead for internship in order to learn martial arts and increase her fighting repertoire.
After her training with Gunhead, she has developed a form a new sense of battle awareness. This was seen when she used it in her battle with Thirteen where she turned the tables on them and captured them.
Ochako is a member of the Heroes Coalitions and is part of The Mighty Never Kneel. She also attends the Vanguard Academy as a student.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!
In Chapter 6, Ochako, alongside her team, The Mighty Never Kneel and another team called The Flaming Honor, are seen in Magnum City taking on a group of Emotionless and successfully defeated them.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Neo-City Diaries
In Chapter 12, Ochako is seen running around the Training Facility when Raya Amanda chases Alden Cole around with a machine gun.
Zero Gravity - Ochako's Quirk gives her the power to manipulate gravity, such as making objects weightless or making objects float upon touching them. She also is able to cancel the effects of her Quirk by closing her fingers together. A drawback to this Quirk that if it is used too much (around three tons) or if she makes herself float, she will suffer from nausea and possibly vomit as a result, although this effect has been negated somewhat thanks to her training
- Skill Release - Ochako can press her finger tips together and make whatever she has touched stop floating. She uses this move for both combat and support purposes, such as when she saved Izuku Midoriya from falling to death during the entrance exam.
- Meteor Shower - After causing that several rubbles fell from continuous attacks, Ochako can collect a large quantity of the surrounding destruction, forming a deadly, giant meteor of rubbles. She first used this move during her match against Katsuki Bakugo.
- Gyrokinetic Combat - Ochako can use her Quirk for physical combat or support, able to reduce the effective weight for her advantage. Though she has used this for combat purposes in weapons, Ochako only had reduced other people' weight for supportive reasons.
- Home Run Comet - After applying her Quirk's power of making objects weightless to some rubble and a pillar, Ochako can use the pillar to hit the rubble at her enemy, acting as an improvised yet quite strong bat. This move was first used to distract Tenya Iida during the Battle Trial.
Hand-to-Hand Combat: While working with Gunhead, Ochako was trained in martial arts. Because of this, she has mastered several forms of grappling, take downs and throws by using her force or her opponents' own force against themselves. Ochako now is skilled enough to easily dispatch an opponent that tries to stab her or to incapacitate them, as shown with the Pro Hero Thirteen and the Villain Himiko Toga.
Keen Intellect: Though she isn't the most cunning of her class, having ranked thirteenth in the mid-terms. Ochako has a strategic mind, able to deduce her opponent's weaknesses and combat style soon after their battles begans, and distracting them enough to form complex plans. Despite being overpowered in her fight against Katsuki, she was praised for having making it far. Also, Ochako has keen senses, able to tell when Himiko was attempting to first attack her, showing her concentrated mind.
- In a prototype concept Ochako was originally "Yu Takeyama", possessing both the identity "Mt. Lady" and the Gigantification quirk. This was scrapped because the author thought for a main heroine, she would stress over standing out from her quirk and become a dark character as a result. Her name, quirk, and superhero identity was instead given to Yu Takeyama who also filled her role in Chapter 1.
- Ochako's name comes from (uravity), (gravity) without the "g", making Ura (urara), bi (that can also be read as ka), tea (read as cha).
- Ochako's surname Uraraka means "bright, beautiful", and Ochako "tea child".
- Ochako loves Japanese food, especially mochi.
- Ochako likes the starry sky.
- In the AWA fics, much like in canon, Ochako has feelings for Izuku and is rivals with Madoka Kaname.