Miles "Tails" Prower is one of the main characters from the Sonic the Hedgehog games.
Sonic's young sidekick: a small fox who can use his unique twin tails to fly. Despite his young age, he's a reliable and dependable ally to Sonic. In later games, he's come into his own as a genius inventor that even rivals Eggman.
In the XP4 fics, Tails debuted in the XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!.
In the AWA fics, Tails is a student at the AWA Academy.
Tails is a young, anthropomorphic fox cub with a unique genetic mutation giving him two tails instead of one. He has mostly yellow-orange fur with white fur around his muzzle, front torso, and the tips of his tails. He also has blue eyes. Typically, his attire consists simply of white gloves with black rings around the wrist and red shoes with white toes.
Tails is a gentle-hearted, sweet-natured and loyal fox with a positive attitude. In the beginning, he was timid and quiet, but he has opened up and become more outgoing over the years. Tails is not one to grab the spotlight for himself and, instead, is always ready and willing help others without asking for anything in return.
Tails has a distinct love for mechanics and he finds himself most at home in his workshop working on his next creation. Despite his great skills, Tails is very humble about his abilities, never giving them many thoughts, though he has yet to discover his true potential of what he can accomplish. At the time of Sonic Lost World, Tails has become more confident and outspoken about his intelligence, though he still does not openly brag. Regardless, he has been known to mock Eggman's own creations, and sometimes Eggman himself.
When young, Tails often lacked self-confidence and courage. After meeting Sonic and gaining his support, Tails gained more confidence and belief in himself. However, this status quo, created from Sonic's authority over him, intially placed a mental stranglehold on Tails that made him dependent on Sonic. As such, he often lacked initiative and confidence when alone.
A turning point for Tails came in Sonic Adventure; when Station Square was in danger of being destroyed, Tails was the only one who could stop this. With Sonic nowhere to be found, Tails realized that he could not depend on Sonic forever and had to try on his own. After saving Station Square, Tails realized he could be independent and support himself without Sonic, and all he needed was determination and faith. Since then, Tails has become more independent, self-confident, motivated and brave, as well as rising up to be a real hero when needed.
During their earlier adventures together, Tails strove to become just like Sonic by replicating the mannerisms he found admirable. In this period, Tails was content with being Sonic's sidekick as he was just happy to hang out with Sonic. As Tails grew as a person, he would still remain as close to Sonic as ever and look up to him as he has always done, but his esteem about Sonic's heroics have dwindled, as he these days cares more about inventing then Sonic's heroic deeds.
Despite his development, Tails still tends to depend on Sonic when he is in a moment of weakness. However, he hopes to one day be self-sufficient and independent like Sonic to prove he can be relied upon.Also, even though Tails still enjoys being Sonic's sidekick, he believes that he can do almost anything if he puts his mind to it.
Despite his intelligence and general fearlessness, Tails is afraid of lightning and can be naive and big mouthed, such as in Sonic Adventure 2 when he accidentally told Eggman that the Chaos Emerald that Sonic had was a fake, thus ruining the heroes' plans. Tails also hates feeling useless or being ignored, as seen in the cases when he is talking to Sonic. He also gets very angry when someone insults his mechanical skills and takes it very personally, as seen when Wave the Swallow mocked his self-customized Blue Star.
Tails has a tendency to talk techno-babble, much to the irritation of his friends, such as when he tried to explain how an Extreme Gear worked, meaning that Tails does not always use tact in a situational matter. Nevertheless, Tails is supportive of his friends, willing to be by their side no matter how dangerous the situation might be, and will do whatever it takes to help them, even if it means sacrificing himself for them.
Tails is a member of the Heroes Coalitions and is part of the Super Sixth Squad as it's second-in-command. He also attends the Vanguard Academy as a student.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!
In Chapter 5, Tails, alongside his team - the Super Sixth Squad, are seen chasing after the Citrus City Parkour Thieves somewhere in Citrus City and managed to capture all of them.
Though not as much on the forefront in battles as other characters, Tails is still an accomplished fighter. On his own, he has defeated several of Dr. Eggman robots and combat mechs, and even single-handedly defeated the entire Battle Bird Armada and Witchcart's gang. Once, he was also able to go head-to-head with Knuckles the Echidna.
Due to a genetic abnormality, Tails is bequeathed with two large, fluffy tails that can twirl together. Over time, Tails has learned to use them to his advantage in many situations. Most noticeably, Tails can spin his twin-tails like rotary blades to fly or hover like a helicopter. While in flight, Tails can move around with outstanding agility and enough speed to keep up with even Sonic, who can run 768 mph at average. However, he gets fatigued if he uses them to stay in flight for too long.
By manipulating the curvature of his twin-tails, Tails can glide through midair. He can also use his twin-tails as a rear turbine to sail across the ground at speeds great enough to let him stand a chance against Sonic in a race. By using them in said manner underwater, Tails' twin-tails become rear propellers that let him move around underwater with ease. Tails' twin-tails are also quite powerful limbs, being both strong and fast enough to slice through metal, and highly prehensile, having once grabbed a toothpick from a sandwich by their tip and then used it to type on a keyboard.
Even without his twin-tails, Tails can move at exceptionally high speeds. He is able to keep up with Sonic's mundane speed on foot and even once cut Sonic off repeatedly using extremely swift movements. With or without his twin-tails though, Tails' speed still is considered average by comparison and he has admitted in spite of his feats that he is still slower than Sonic. Tails is also quite physically strong, having enough strength to hold up both Sonic and Knuckles at once and move blocks that supposedly weights several tons. He is also tough enough to go through atmospheric reentry and then land on the ground unharmed. In addition, Tails has demonstrated great feats of acrobatic skills, agility and reflexes: he can effortlessly grind on rails and pull off different acrobatic tricks while airborne. He is also good at swimming.
Tails has also demonstrated the ability to harness chaos energy for his own use, although this is an ability he uses sparingly. By harnessing the Chaos Emeralds, Tails can give himself a boost in power.
Tails possesses a genius-level intellect and is a skilled inventor. Described as a mechanical genius and a natural prodigy in this field, Tails is as talented as Dr. Eggman, who has an IQ of 300. Tails even once claimed he is smart enough to build a TV out of paperclips and reprogram a supercomputer using a toothpick and dishwashing detergent. As a testament to his skills, when presented with foreign technology (even of the advanced kind), Tails only needs to take a few looks to understand it. He is likewise quick to grasp new forms of technology, and once he develops an understanding of it, he excels at said technology. Tails also has a knack for building things, to the point that his friends believe that there is nothing he cannot built. Over time, Tails has created a number of inventions that often have gotten both him and Sonic out of trouble and let them stay just ahead of Eggman's schemes. These creations include his transformable Tornado series of airplanes, his combat equipment, his Emerald Detector, the Sea Fox, the Lunar Fox, a fake Chaos Emerald and his multifunctional Miles Electric to name a few. Among the different fields of his expertise, Tails is also a capable Extreme Gear mechanic who can create, customize and tune Gears. Though he is Wave the Swallow's lesser as an Extreme Gear mechanic, his skills are still good enough to impress Wave, which is a considerable feat.
While mechanics are his specialty, Tails is also well-versed in physics and science, enough to come up with solid theories regarding matters as complex as time and space. Combined with his mechanical skills, Tails can construct different vessels that can travel between dimensions. In addition, Tails has shown that he can read and translate Binary and Hexadecimal language. He is also a history buff who knows a lot about his world and its lore.
In direct combat, Tails lacks his friends' raw hand-to-hand combat skills, and focuses more on tactics and providing support to his allies. On the occasion where he is fighting on his own however, Tails utilizes a fighting style that combines a blend of basic punches and/or swipes with his twin-tails. When applied in battle, his twin-tails become like whips that can lash out with significant power across a wide range. Tails can as well spinaround with his twin-tails at high speeds to becoms a dangerous top that can tear through opponents. Tails also has a number of aerial maneuvers to get advantage over ground-bound opponents. These maneuvers let him launch attacks at foes from above or fly at them with increased momentum. Tails can also perform the Spin Attack, Spin Jump, and the Spin Dash, which are techniques where he curls into a concussive ball or cutting disk and directs himself at his targets. During some of his tougher periods of battles, Tails has also been known to complement his fighting style with gadgets.
Tails has excellent skills when it comes to piloting aircrafts and driving vehicles, including mechs. He also has incredible aerial dogfighting skills, being able to win areal battles against massive ships like the Egg Carrier and Egg Cauldron with his personalized biplanes. Tails is also a talented Extreme Gear rider in his own right, and possibly one of the best in the world due to his ability to go head-to-head with the Babylon Rogues, who are considered the best Extreme Gear riders around. On an Extreme Gear, he has enough skills to ride through mid-air with great control.
As shown on several occasions, Tails tends to make use of various mechanical devices to improve his battle prowess, such as his Magic Hand, Energy Cannon and Big Hand. He also occasionally carries around a wide arsenal of bombs, from basic explosives, to remote-controlled mines, to Flash Bang grenades. He also has equipment for support, like healing devices, bots for fortifying his defenses and the Helmet. Another example is his Cyclone mech, which he used to combat G.U.N.'s forces during the Shadow incident.
Once, Tails made use of the Ring Boomerang, which could pull and latch onto objects like a grappling hook. On a few occasions, he has also used Dummy Rings as projectile weaponry.
Main Article: Super Tails
By using all seven Super Emeralds, or later the seven Chaos Emeralds, Tails can enter a Super State, transforming him into Super Tails. In this state, all of Tails' abilities far surpasses his normal ones. He is also able to fly without his twin-tails, and is nearly invulnerable. However, this transformation consumes a lot of energy and requires Rings to be maintained.
Main Article: Color Powers
By harnessing different variants of Hyper-go-on from Wisps, Tails can use specific Color Powers to transform into a certain form, such as a drill, a laser or even a planet, each one possessing its own unique abilities. So far, Tails has been able to transform into the Cyan Laser, Yellow Drill, and Indigo Asteroid. However, these transformations require a steady supply of Hyper-go-on to be maintained.
- Tails' possession of two tails is derived from the mythological kitsune(Japanese for "Fox") from common Japanese folklore. The kitsune is said to be capable of growing multiple tails - nine tails at maximum - with it being said that the more tails it has, the more old, wise and powerful it is.
- His real name "Miles Prower" is a pun on "miles per hour", a reference to the famed speed of the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
- To celebrate Tails' 25th anniversary, Tails' original creator Yasushi Yamaguchi posted an artwork of the character along with several facts about Tails. He explained the secret image of Tails from Sonic the Hedgehog CD features a car because at the time Sonic had a specific favorite car model, the "Lamborghini Countach". The artist decided that Miles should have a favorite car too, so he chose the "Lotus Super Seven". The same car can also be seen in an illustration used for Sega Saturn testing.
- Tails' outstanding speed is partially due his training with Sonic.
- During his first appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Tails' fur was orange in color, but the color was changed to yellow-orange in Sonic Adventure artwork, and light-yellow for Sonic Heroes.
- Tails and Eggman are the only characters who are addressed by their nicknames, with their full names of "Miles Prower" and "Doctor Ivo Robotnik" being used far less.
- Tails is the youngest character to have a Super State.
- His fur color seems to vary a little bit from every game, from orange in-between Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3, to brown in both Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehoganimated series, to golden yellow in Sonic Adventure, to being orange in Sonic Adventure 2 and to yellow in Sonic Heroes.
- As proven in Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Heroes and Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Tails seems to get dizzy easily and feels pretty uncomfortable when he gets dizzy. This is an inconsistency concerning the character, due to his "Rapid Tail Spin" attack in Sonic Adventure and the Spin Dash attack.
- Tails appears to have phasmophobia, a fear of ghosts, first made apparent in Sonic Heroes.
- Sonic Underground is the only Sonic cartoon series in which Tails does not make an appearance.
- In issue #188 of the GameInformer magazine, Tails had the #6 worst video game character name, mainly because of the "miles per hour" joke.
- The September 2010 issue of GameInformer magazine elected Tails as the 10th "Most Disgustingly Cute" Video Game Character.
- All of Tails' solo theme songs are "Believe in Myself" or some kind of remixed version.
- As seen in Sonic Colors, Tails can read binary fluently, although it was shown later that the codes were in Hexadecimal.
- Nintendo Power magazine had a poll asking which sidekick people would choose, with Tails being the second most picked.
- In Sonic Adventure, in the cutscene after the Egg Carrier shoots down Sonic and Tails (if playing Tails' story), it shows a flashback where Tails is walking in the jungle of Mystic Ruins and Sonic speeds by, with Tails running right behind him (a reference to how they met). The Mystic Ruins is used for this scene, rather than having to develop an entirely different environment that would only be used once.
- Modern Tails' artwork in Sonic Generations looks very similar to his artwork in Sonic Advance 3, whereas his Classic artwork appears to be completely new.
- It would be physically impossible for Tails to fly, due to his tails having to twist. However, if one slows down footage of him spinning his tails to fly/move, they do not actually turn through morphing of the model, but actually mesh through each other. This minor inconsistency would not normally be noticeable at normal speed, though.
- Unlike Sonic's classic form, Classic Tails speaks in Sonic Generations.
- Even though Tails is one of the fastest characters in the series, he is a Skill Type in the Mario & Sonic series, due to the fact that there can only be two characters per type; Sonic and Shadow are faster, and Tails is still one of the main characters. This is also the case for Eggman.
- Tails has the most voice actors out of all of the characters, with nine English voice actors (counting his TV show and movie appearances). Often times, Tails was cast with young boy voice actors to provide a genuine youthful male voice for the role, although this would always cause the need to recast him once the voice actor's voice matured too far to continuing voicing him. In recent years, Tails has been voiced by females, in order to avoid the aforementioned issue.
- A bonus wallpaper, accessed from inserting the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure into a computer, shows Tails out of his trademark white-and-red shoes, and instead wearing sandals. This also reveals the shape of his feet.
- In Spiral Knights, there's a Tails costume that allows player to wear Tails' tails, along with a Metal Sonic costume.
- In Sonic Generations, Tails' Classic "pose" in the profile section is in the "pose" at the beginning of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
- In Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Tails and Sonic are the only characters in the game that can carry on different conversations via selecting different speech bubbles with the stylus.
- Despite the fact that Tails is Sonic's best friend, foxes are predators of hedgehogs in real life.
- Despite being a fox, Tails has been mistaken for a squirrel; during Nintendo Power's run, the magazine would occasionally refer to Tails as a squirrel, although typically for humorous purposes.
- In the bad ending of the 8-bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, it is never confirmed but implied that Tails dies.
- Tails is the only playable character in Sonic Advance 3 who does not have a dialogue.