Meliodas is the main protagonist of the Seven Deadly Sins anime and manga.
Meliodas is the leader of the Seven Deadly Sins and is known as the Dragon's Sin of Wrath.
Upon being found by Elizabeth at the start of the series, Meliodas decided to help her find the other Sins in order to stop the Holy Knights who had taken over her kingdom. Despite looking like a human child, Meliodas is actually a member of the Demon Clan. That said, he has lived for over 3000 years which is three times the average lifespan of a regular demon. This is because of a certain curse which was placed upon him.
Meliodas is also a former Holy Knight of the kingdom of Danafor. However due to certain reasons, his uncontrolled wrath caused him to completely obliterate the kingdom.
In the AWA fics, Meliodas is a student at the AWA Academy and is a part of Class 12.
In the XP4 fics, Meliodas debuted in the XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!.
Despite having the appearance of a child, Meliodas is actually much older, being over three thousand years old. He is exceptionally short compared to other characters, with messy blond hair and a pair of emerald eyes. He also lacks facial hair, further accentuating his adolescent appearance. Regardless of his stature and youthful looks, he is relatively muscular, possessing an array of well-developed abdominal muscles. He is often shown wearing an ordinary, clean white button-front shirt and a black sleeveless vest on top with a loosely worn tie. His Broken Sword's scabbard is held on by a green leather belt with gold-colored buckles. Without any socks, he wears a pair of black boots. His most distinctive trait is his Dragon symbol carved at the top of his left bicep, just below his shoulder.
During his tenure as the leader of Danafor's Holy Knights, Meliodas wore their traditional armor, much like Cain Barzad's. Ten years ago he wore a full-body silver armor with a unique helmet, like the rest of the Sins. He also wielded a dagger that appeared to be his Sacred Treasure. Meliodas was issued a wanted poster, like all of the Sins were after being framed for the murder of Great Holy Knight Zaratras. The most current issue of his wanted poster does not accurately depict him but, coincidentally, does depict his brother, Estarossa.
After the Kingdom Infiltration arc, Meliodas sports a new outfit; a long-sleeved, high-collared white tunic over an undershirt, a pair of gloves, knee-length black pants, and black boots. This outfit is a bit more formal like a uniform with the "Boar Hat" embroidered on his back.
After his time in Purgatory, Meliodas now has seven permanent scars where his hearts are located and sports a new Black Mark similar to the one he previously had as leader of the Ten Commandments. He now wears the debut outfit he previously wore.
Meliodas's dominant traits are his frankness and his utter fearlessness, shown when he remains composed seeing the Rust Knight who was later revealed to be Elizabeth Liones. Due to his horrible cooking, when his customers vomit onto the Boar Hat's floor, he instructs Hawk to clean up the scraps, and scares him by saying phrases such as "roast pig" if he complains, hinting he may roast the talking pig. He is also shown to be very bawdy and loves to frequently tell jokes. Occasionally, he takes advantage of Elizabeth's naivety and gropes her breasts, not even ashamed of doing so in public or in front of her father. He also has a strong sense of justice and is willing to help people in distress. Even when he is severely injured, he tries not to show weakness, and stays strong in front of his companions. He holds resentment for himself, deeming himself a failure as an older brother to Zeldris.
Despite his title as the Sin of Wrath, he maintains the facade of a very calm person. However, if his companions or friends are harmed in any way, he is shown to be capable of extreme rage. He is also enraged when someone tries to take his sword, with this rage being capable of scaring even a Holy Knight and causing him to leave a permanent scar on Ban's neck, despite his regeneration abilities. It has been hinted that Meliodas is guilt-ridden over the fate of Danafor, saying that his sin was being unable to save the kingdom. Ban and Cain point out that Meliodas tends to be soft and naive, due to him never killing anyone, even someone like Guila, who was a serious threat to the group. Meliodas dislikes killing, preferring to be merciful.
Despite all of this, however, Meliodas's personality was once much darker, as he was revered to as the vilest demon in existence. It appears that when using his Demon Mark, Meliodas's personality changes to be similar to that of his old self, becoming cold, quiet, ruthless, and murderous as he kills and attacks anyone near him without mercy aside from Elizabeth. Despite being renowned as a pervert, the Seven Deadly Sins reveal that Meliodas never displayed any interest towards other females before meeting a grown Elizabeth.
After his time in Purgatory, due to having lost some of his emotions, Meliodas's personality changes drastically whenever he uses the black mark, becoming far more ruthless and at times even sadistic in his battles and wasting no time in his attempts to kill his former demon allies. He states that his outlook has changed and is merciless in his battle with Monspiet and Derieri. During his fight with Fraudrin, he sadistically toyed with his historic enemy using a clone with half his power to give Fraudrin false hope of defeating him, relishing his despair upon realising Meliodas' true power. In the aftermath of the battle, Meliodas professes to Elizabeth that he is genuinely terrified of becoming that person again.
Upon releasing his demonic powers in a desperate attempt to escape Melascula's Dark Cocoon Meliodas fully reverts back to his old self as the leader of the Ten Commandments. With his old personality in control, Meliodas has been seen to be easily annoyed and angered, being far more brutal, sarcastic, sadistic and cruel than ever, showing visible pleasure and clearly mocks Escanor while easily beating him up. He also looks down on humans like most demons, as evidenced when he called Escanor a lowly human. He has also been seen to enjoy fighting, as evidenced by the fact that he toyed with Escanor rather than simply immediately going all out and killing him. While arrogant, he is not above complimenting his foes if they are truly powerful, as when he openly praised Escanor for putting up a fight against him.
Upon regaining consciousness after being defeated by Escanor, Meliodas regains his memories of Elizabeth and the Seven Deadly Sins. However, he has became solely devoted to breaking Elizabeth's curse and no longer cares about opposing the Demon Clan, even going as far as to ally with his former enemies and even become Demon King to accomplish it. He does, however, retain some level of mercy towards the Seven Deadly Sins as rather than simply killing them, he offered them a chance to stand down and admits that the days he spent with the Sins were not all bad. He also retains a degree of affection towards Elizabeth, as he patiently tried to make her understand that becoming the Demon King is the only way to save her, but can now easily become rude at her, as he coldly told her that he felt nothing when she hugged him and that the only thing he had left is the promise he made to her and even told her openly that he considered her love for him to be imprinted by the Supreme Deity and not by her own will.
Meliodas is part of the Heroes Coalitions and is member of the Fairy Knights. He also attends the Vanguard Academy as a student.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!
In Chapter 3, Meliodas alongside his team, the Fairy Knights, are seen walking around Mount Altana somewhere in the kingdon of Fiore when they came across a group of Emotionless and defeated them. Later, they met up with Gelman and made their way to Magnolia.
Meliodas' skill and power are legendary. He is the captain of the legendary Seven Deadly Sins and was once the leader of the Ten Commandments and heir to the throne of the Demon King, greatly feared by the enemies of the Demon Clan and even other demons alike. Like all members of the Demon Clan, he is capable of manifesting their mysterious power of darkness, which enhances both his physical and magical abilities and he is also knowledgeable of demonic enchantments. He is most well-known for his skills with the sword and for his pure physical prowess, but he also has incredible magical abilities, notably his virtual immunity to magic attacks through with his ability Full Counter. An example of his immense combat skills was when he overwhelmed both the ancient Fairy and Giant Kings, Gloxinia and Dolor simultaneously. When recovering the power taken from him by Merlin, the amount of darkness released from the Goddess Amber was enough to blot out the sky, and the subsequent aftershock from Istar could be felt from Edinburgh almost 100km away. Before the start of the series, his power was intense enough to destroy the entire Kingdom of Danafor. Merlin, feeling his power was too vast and dangerous for him to control, stole most of it before he could do the same to the Kingdom of Liones. Even with most of his power taken, however, he still had a Power Level of more than 10 times the standard for a Holy Knight of Liones. With his power returned, he is able to easily fight on par with and defeat members of the legendary Ten Commandments, even despite it only being a fraction of his original power during the Holy War.
After unleashing his full demonic powers in a desperate attempt to break free of Melascula's Antan no Mayu, Meliodas regains his full power, after entering Assault Mode, granting him a massive increase in physical capabillities and power. He proves capable of easily outmatching Escanor in their fight despite his power increasing every second to the point that Diane said he was toying with the Sin of Pride, being defeated only when Escanor reached the peak of his powers as The One. Later, upon reawakening, he is also able to effortlessly restrain both Zeldris and Estarossa, with not even the Demon King's power allowing Zeldris to move. When attacked again, he easily restrains Zeldris while simultaneously protecting Elizabeth from Estarossa. Like his younger brothers, he also has the ability to remove Commandments with Admonition, having stolen Grayroad's when Merlin was unconscious. He also is capable of performing a ritual to absorb the Ten Commandments, this takes a lot of time, shown as five of the Commandments needed a half day to be completely absorbed and without rejection. According to Meliodas once he has absorbed all of the Commandments, which is half of the Demon King's power, he will have power rivaling that of the Demon King.
Meliodas has been afflicted with a curse by the Demon King as punishment for falling in love with a goddess and killing and betraying his demonic brethren that revives him without fail no matter how many times he dies, whether via killing himself or getting killed. It additionally prevents him from dying of old age, effectively keeping him immortal. However, upon each revival, he slowly loses some of his emotions in exchange, slowly returning back to his former self. The curse can last permanently and the only way to lift it is for someone with power rivaling that of the Demon King and Supreme Deity to lift it.
Types of Attacks
Main article: Full Counter
- Full Counter - This ability allows Meliodas to reflect magic attacks aimed at him, back at the enemy, but with much greater power; therefore, the stronger the opponent's powers are, the rebound becomes. A prime drawback is that Meliodas cannot initiate attacks himself. He is also incapable of reflecting attacks if the opponent doesn't allow him to read the timing/nature of their attacks. Physical, indirect, and continuous attacks can also not be reflected.
- Hellblaze - A mysterious ability displayed by Meliodas that allows him to generate black flames. The technique also has the additional effect of nullifying an immortal's regeneration, as shown when he used it against Ban.
- Assault Mode - This state is reached when Meliodas unleashes his demon powers, achieving immense powers. This form also allows Meliodas to access his full power. According to Melascula, back in the days when Meliodas was in command of the Ten Commandments, even they were in fear of him while in this mode. The drawback is that it temporarily robs Meliodas of all his feeling and emotions, causing him to revert back to how he was before his betrayal of the Demon Clan.
- Kami Chigiri - Meliodas cuts his opponent with his sword a total of a thousand times in an instant.
As the former leader of the Ten Commandments, Meliodas was the original wielder of the Commandment of Love, which was bestowed upon him by the Demon King. Those who would stand before him with hatred in their hearts will be rendered powerless to harm or inflict damage on anyone else. In order to ally himself with the Goddess Clan, he willingly abandoned his commandment during his betrayal of the Demon Clan. The Demon King later bestowed Love upon his younger brother, Estarossa.
- Giant Broad Sword: Meliodas used this sword in the Holy War 3000 years ago, also used it when he was the leader of the Ten Commandments. The sword it is at least twice the size of Meliodas. It was broken in the battle Meliodas and the goddess Elizabeth fought and lost against the Demon King and the Supreme Deity. The sword did not show any traits of being able to use an ability like a sacred treasure.
- Dragon Handle: Meliodas used this broken sword in conjunction with Full Counter. The sword also appears to have abilities of its own and is one of the keys for the Coffin of Eternal Darkness.
- Liz's Sword: Once Meliodas regained his lover's sword, Liz, Meliodas started using it after his Dragon Handle was stolen. It also works in conjunction with Full Counter. It was broken during Meliodas' fight with an Albion.
- Lostvayne: As a member of the Seven Deadly Sins, Meliodas possesses a sacred treasure. Lostvayne is a "demon-splitting sword" which he sold at a pawn shop in Camelot for money to fund the Boar Hat 10 years ago. It is later returned to him by Merlin who is revealed to have purchased the sword and kept it safe all this time. Its ability Jitsuzō Bunshin is compatible with Meliodas' Full Counter allowing him to use it at much more dangerous levels.
Meliodas's power level increases in stages as the story progresses and is increased further whenever he utilizes his demon powers. Using Lostvayne, Meliodas can create a clone with a maximum Power Level of half of his own Power Level. Creating more clones will cause that power to be equally distributed among them.
- Meliodas is the first character from Seven Deadly Sins to be introduced in the AWA fics.
- Meliodas, in Arthurian legend, was famous as the father of Tristan and as one of the Knights of the Round Table.
- Meliodas' special skill is molesting Elizabeth.
- His hobby is collecting ale.
- His daily routine is sexually harassing Elizabeth.
- His weakness is Elizabeth.
- He was born in the Demon World.
- His dream is to remove the curse on him.
- His greatest regret is having been unable to save...
- His greatest shame is his past self.
- The thing he wants to do the most is to cuddle with Elizabeth.
- His favorite animal is Elizabeth.
- His favorite smell is Elizabeth's body.
- His favorite food is pork simmered in ale.
- His charm Point is his ahoge (the little strand of hair on his head that sticks up).
- He has no complex.
- The person he respects the most is Captain of Leftovers (joking).
- The person he doesn't want to make an enemy of is Merlin.