Lucina is a playable character and one of the three main protagonists from the Fire Emblem Awakening game and manga.
First appeared as a masked swordsman known as Marth and wields another Falchion, a blade once thought unique, and appears during Chrom's hour of need. She is later revealed to be Chrom's daughter from the future. A kind and just princess who has made it her duty to save the world. In her era, the world was devastated by the reawakened Grima and, by Naga's guidance, she traveled to the past to stop Grima. She loves her father and would do anything to keep him safe. The least likely to get a joke.
In the XP4 fics, Lucina debuted in the XP4 Heroes Coalition - Awakening.
In the AWA fics, Lucina is a student at the AWA Academy and is part of Class 1.
Lucina has a long blue hair and has blue eyes. She wears a yellow headband on her head, she wears a blue tunic dress with yellow linings over a black woolen bodysuit, blue scarf around her neck, two blue shoulder armor plate on both sides, two straps around her body, blue fingerless arm gloves with white cuffs and knee-high blue boots.
Lucina is a strong willed and driven woman who is determined to alter the dark future she came from. She values her comrades deeply and has a sense of justice. Due to the countless deaths and horrific events of the future, she dislikes any form of death, even "noble" ones. Her main motivations come from her love for her parents, especially Chrom. Lucina is willing to do whatever it takes to see that Chrom stays alive, even if it means going against her wish for no needless deaths. Nevertheless, she is obedient to Chrom and puts her trust in her father's judgements, showing a strong bond of trust with her father.
Bearing a keen resemblance to Marth, it even leads to her being mistaken as him by Tiki when she is introduced, with the latter remarking in their supports that her involuntary actions when helping others further likens her to Marth himself. Furthering that point, she even speaks in a very formal and polite manner more reminiscent of him, contrasting her father. Despite that, she seems to have inherited some of her father's traits as well, as some of her quotes implies that she has his habit of breaking things when practicing. But even with her charismatic traits and skills as a swordswoman, Lucina never gives herself any credit, constantly doubting whether or not she can live up to Marth or her father's name.
As a result of her troubled childhood, Lucina tries to spend as much time as she can with her parents in order to have the moments she couldn't before, because once the world is saved, she doesn't wish to get in the way of them tending to their present daughter, despite the assurances from them both that even though she's from a different timeline, she is still their daughter to them and that they love her. She also shows in her supports with her sibling to value her Falchion because of being the last possession left behind by her father, as she gets angered at her sibling using it to cut apples.
Despite her serious and stoic persona, Lucina has childish moments around her parents and siblings in their supports. Said behavior goes so far as to be paranoid of the Female Avatar if she is not her mother because of their close relationship, only to irrationally demand for the Avatar to fall in love with her father when the former claims to not consider him gallant, much to their mutual confusion.
One of her most bizarre traits is her odd taste for fashion, as it is shown most prominently in her supports with her mother, where she goes from purchasing a dress featuring pictures of Emmeryn to attempt to pick several other options while shopping with her (which goes from uncommon to literally having only strings). This is further proved by the fact that she wears bizarre Groucho-Marx glasses in the official Awakening comics and drama CDs, buys and owns numerous bear hats in both the drama CDs, and in her appearance in Fates. Lucina has a rather dry sense of humor, and is the least likely to get a joke out of everyone in the Shepherds. She was born on April 20.
Lucina is a member of the Heroes Coalitions and is a part of the Universal Guardians. She also attends Vanguard Academy as a student.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Awakening
In Chapter 8, Lucina, alongside Tiki, Nah and Brady, are seen making their way towards Ylisstol when they came across Hardbody, whom is looking for Dan Kusou, and decided to travel together. Later, they came across Inigo, Cynthia and Severa taking on a group of Emotionless and decided to help them. After taking out the creatures, each sides greeted each other and decided to travel together to Ylisstol.
In Chapter 10, Lucina and her group met up with Kjelle's group in Ylisstol, and were greeted by Shun Kazami at the gates. In the garrison, she and Cynthia, reunited with their parents, Chrom and Sumia. She later had a conversation with Geo Stelar.
In Chapter 11, Lucina is at the garrison when they heard a noise, they ran to the corridors to see Ryuuko Matoi and Ricken chasing a strange hooded figure. Everyone went after the figure and led them to a large grassy fields, and reveals itself as a Pokemon known as Hitmonlee. The Pokemon then revealed that he stole an ancient alien artifact called the Ara-Ka Cube inside the castle. Everyone watches in horror as Hitmonlee uses the alien artifact to summon a zombified version of Emmeryn and Phila, much to everyone's disgust. Hitmonlee then summoned a large number of Emotionless, forcing Lucina and everyone to fight. Lucina then witnessed Donnel activating his Gift.
In Chapter 12 & Epilogue, Lucina, alongside everyone, witnessed Donnel activating his Gift turning both Emmeryn and Phila back to life. After defeating the remaining Emotionless, forcing Hitmonlee to flee, life in Ylisstol went back to normal. Later, she is welcomed by Geo Stelar as the first honorary member of his team.
The Adventures in Gamesphere
In Chapter 1, Lucina met up with Rufus, Luigi, The Player Character and Pit at the Sakurai Dorms and told them that her Falchion Sword is missing. Lucina is present when Rufus announced to everyone that a nasty thief is on the loose and when Farah Oersted greeted her.
In Chapter 2, Lucina is seen in a cafe having a conversation with Colette Brunel and Farah Oersted when they witness Rufus & the gang chasing after Bubsy the Bobcat. Later that day, Lucina and Farah met up with Rufus and the gang at the Madden NFL Football Arena where Bubsy is being used as a ball while Rufus is counting the money he won from a bet. Then Pit and herself told them that their items were never stolen causing Jimmy Hopkins and the others to confront Rufus, demanding to get their money back. After watching everyone chases Rufus, the Player Character spoke which surprises her and everyone.
In Chapter 4, at Zack's Beach Party, Lucina is seen alongside Lloyd Irving, Colette Brunel and Pit having a conversation at the surfboard stand when Nick and Hikari joins them. She, alongside Colette Brunel, Scarlet and Chase, are seen getting ice cream from Needles Kane.
Lucina is blessed with the title of Lord, making her an offensive force for the army. Regardless of who her mother is, Lucina has similar growth rates to her father's, leading to high Strength, Skill, and Speed. With the proper mother, Lucina can outpace her father in some categories. Lucina also starts off with Aether making her a deadly unit from the start. However unlike most children, due to her mandatory recruitment half-way through the story, she may not start off as spectacularly as the other children, but she will catch up and eventually exceed most of them.
Like Chrom, Lucina as a Great Lord will give her a ranged option of Javelins while boosting her high stat caps. She will also eventually learn Rightful King to boost her activation of skills. Also like Chrom, Lucina should remain a Great Lord once she has built the necessary skills. If Lucina becomes the mother of Morgan, she will always pass down Aether to her.
Lucina also has a personal weapon, the Parallel Falchion. When initially recruited, Lucina's Falchion trumps Chrom's version of the Falchion with 7 more Might and 5 more Critical. It also has the ability to heal her for 20 HP if used as an item, so she never needs Vulneraries or Concoctions so long as she is in a sword-wielding class. Lastly her Falchion has the property of dealing effective damage against Dragon units like Chrom's Falchion, but it also starts off with the ability to deal effective damage to Grima, making Lucina a very useful unit for the Endgame as well as The Future Past 3. However, once Chrom's Exalted Falchion is unlocked, Lucina's Falchion will be slightly inferior. Nevertheless, it should be Lucina's weapon of choice for the majority of the game.
- Lucina was voted the most popular female character in the Fire Emblem Awakening Character Popularity Poll in Japan.
- Lucina came in 9th in the Fire Emblem Awakening Most Helpful Character poll in Japan.
- Lucina and (male) Avatar were voted 8th most popular couple in the Fire Emblem Awakening Couple Popularity Poll in Japan.
- Lucina came in 2nd for females in the Fire Emblem Heroes Choose Your Legends popularity poll. She had 42,875 votes. Her Masked Marth persona was placed in the poll as a separate character and came in 28th place for females. She had 5,470 votes. Considering that the poll included every single character in the franchise, this means Lucina is the highest scoring character of the Awakening portion and second most popular female character overall.
- Because Chrom does not need to marry Sully, Sumia, Maribelle, Olivia, or the Female Avatar—and Lucina must be recruited for story purposes—Lucina is the only child character whose determinate parent does not need to have an S-Support.
- Lucina is the only child in Awakening with a fixed hair color and cannot inherit the hair color of her non-determinate parent.
- Including her Parallel Falchion, and both Rapiers Lucina can wield a total of 116 unique weapons provided the Avatar is her mother.
- Lucina's birthday is the same day that Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance were first released in Japan.
- If Lucina and Owain achieve an S-support, they will gain the title "Companion", on their character cards instead of "Husband/Wife" to prevent implications of incest. The title is also used if she achieves an S-support with Morgan if Inigo or Brady is his father (and Chrom is Inigo or Brady's father).
- If Lucina is the daughter of the Avatar, Lucina will have the most amount of class options out of all characters in the game with a total of 35 (34 without Bride).
- Because of this, Lucina is tied with Female Morgan for the most amount of skills learned in a single playthrough with 74 skills possible.
- Lucina's official artwork depicts her wielding the Falchion.
- Her confession image is unique in that the background does not change to a bubbly pattern variant seen in most other confessions.
- If the Female Avatar marries Chrom, Lucina will have both the Exalted Blood and Fell Dragon Blood. Lucina is one of four children who can possibly have this trait, the other 3 being both Morgans and Owain.
- Lucina is the first Lord in the series to be fought as an enemy Lord. (This does not count Ike in Radiant Dawn as he is a Hero at the time).
- When reclassed into a Dark Knight, Lucina will have the same hairstyle she did while under the disguise as Marth.
- Although Lucina can use Counter in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, it is impossible for her to learn it in Awakening since it is a male exclusive skill and because Chrom cannot reclass into the Fighter classes. Even if he could learn it, Lucina will never inherit it since Chrom always passes Aether down to her.
- Lucina is the first (and currently only) unlockable character in the Super Smash Bros. series to be female, being unlockable in both versions of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U; all of the other unlockable characters, in addition to the ones from the past three games, are either male or gender-neutral (referring to Pokémon).
- She is also the first clone character to be female; the majority of clone characters are male, with Pichu from Melee being gender-neutral.
- Lucina is one of the few units whose status screen portrait changes at some point of the game, a trait she shares with Marth, Alm, Celica, Ike, Volke, Sothe, Julia, Micaiah, and the Avatar. Her change happens when her mask is broken before Chapter 6. Unlike most examples, Lucina's portrait changes when she's still an NPC.
- Lucina's mask holds great symbolism. Butterflies have been known to symbolize Hope, Joy, and New Beginnings: all of which Lucina and the other kids fight for. As well as the element of time, which reflects on their actions to travel back in time.
- In both the drama CD and the manga, the mask was not her first choice for a disguise, as she initially intended to use a pair of massive glasses.
- One of the two items that the player can receive from Lucina in Fates is the Bear Hat. She refers to it being totally cute which is a joke on Lucina's terrible fashion sense. The hat itself is a reference to the final Drama CD for Awakening. In it, Risen steal things that are beautiful and end up stealing the tiara from Lucina. As most of the other kids go to get it back, Lucina decides to go shopping for a replacement accompanied by Laurent and Severa. Laurent ends up showing Lucina the Bear Hat by mistake and she ends up buying 12 of them. Later on they are used to kill the Risen because "they can only be killed by ugly things".
- Lucina's amiibo Hero Battle team in Fates is based on some of the other children from Awakening
- Sky Knight: Cynthia
- Wyvern Rider: Gerome
- Mercenary: Inigo or Severa
- Samurai: Owain
- Dark Mage: Laurent
- According to the drama CD, her tiara was a gift from her mother. This is similar to how Marth obtained his circlet.
- The Spring Festival Paralogue in Fire Emblem Heroes further references Lucina's bad sense in fashion when she shows Xander the egg she painted. Xander has to stop himself from insulting its gaudy appearance.
- Her "Masked Marth" variation is the only character in the game with no innate passive skills whatsoever.
- Lucina shares her English voice actress, Laura Bailey, with Palla in her appearance in Fire Emblem Heroes.
- In her "Tempest Trials", "Spring Festival", and Choose Your Legends variant in Heroes, she shares her other English voice actress, Alexis Tipton, with Clair, and Palla in her appearance in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.
- Lucina is the winner of the 1st Voting Gauntlet (Princes vs. Princesses) in Fire Emblem Heroes.
- She is also the first female character in Fire Emblem Heroes to win the Voting Gauntlet.
- In the AWA fics, Lucina holds the record of the most absence of a single student at the AWA Academy.