Kyouka Jirou is a character from the My Hero Academia anime and manga.
An aloof student whose Quirk, "Earphone Jack", takes the form of elongated earlobes ending in jack plugs, which she can extend and plug into objects to catch extremely faint sounds or channel the sound of her own heartbeat into them in the form of powerful vibrations. She is a talented musician and is especially fond of rock music.
In the XP4 fics, Kyouka debuted in XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!.
In the AWA fics, Kyouka is a student at the AWA Academy and is part of Class 6.
Kyouka is a petite, slender girl. She has fair skin, triangular onyx eyes, and short purple hair with asymmetric bangs. Kyouka's hair also has lavender colored streaks that resemble sound waves on both sides of her head. Her most notable feature is her plug-like earlobes which seem to be able to change length and control at will. Unlike the other students, Kyouka sometimes wears a vest over her school uniform.
Her hero costume consists of a black leather jacket, long salmon-colored shirt with several rips at the collar and bottom, black pants and boots with stereos in them. She also sports two small, red triangle facial marks just below her eyes, a plain black choker, and white finger-less gloves. Later on, her hero costume gains a set of headphones and two bracelets that double as her amplifiers. In the winter months, she paints larger triangle marks on her face.
Kyouka has a somewhat pragmatic, unenthusiastic and teasing personality which is shown a lot to those she finds irritating. In particular, her fellow classmate Denki Kaminari, happens to be the most common target of her snarky comments due to his clueless nature. She can also be quite aggressive and may use her Quirk to physically punish people or to keep them in line (for comic relief), notably Denki and Minoru Mineta.
Despite the fact that she comes off as cold and indifferent, Kyouka also has a much more sensitive side, being very defensive and empathetic towards her friends and others.She often gets flustered when people compliment her. Additionally, she is afraid of horror-based activities and has an aversion to nudity.
Like her parents, Kyouka has a major interest in music (rock, in particular) and owns several instruments which she is able to play to some extent. However, she appeared to be somewhat embarrassed about her interests, mostly due to perceiving them as completely unrelated to heroism, though she has grown more confident over time.
Kyouka is a member of the Heroes Coalitions and is part of The Flaming Honor. She also attends the Vanguard Academy as a student.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!
In Chapter 6, Kyouka, alongside her team, The Flaming Honor and another team called The Mighty Never Kneel, are seen in Magnum City taking on a group of Emotionless and successfully defeated them.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Neo-City Diaries
In Chapter 2, Kyouka and Mina Ashido are seen walking around the Training Facility grounds in the evening.
Sword Fighting: Though she does not directly use a sword in combat, Kyouka has shown to be skilled enough to wield a sword Yaoyorozu had made during the attack on USJ, and hold her own against members of the League of Villains using it.
Musical Talent: Kyouka is able to play the bass, which is her preferred instrument alongside the guitar. She can play other instruments as well, like drums, but only to a limited extent. Her singing voice is described as "husky, but heavenly".
Earphone Jack (Iyahon Jakku): Kyouka's Quirk allows her to plug the jacks that hang from her earlobes into all sorts of things and channel the sound of her heartbeat into them; the vibrations cause havoc inside the plugged objects. Her quirk also allows her to hear very well. She also can plug the jacks into the boots of her costume which have speakers that allow her to shoot sound in a specific direction. Kyouka can use her earphone jacks to catch sounds, giving her the ability to hear across even extremely thick walls. She can use them like whips in combat; stretching up to 6 meters and the sound radius is approximately 12 meters.
- Whip Attack: Kyoka can use her jacks as extremely long-range whips, having enough strength to shatter huge rocks.
- Cancelling (Sōsai): This special move allows Kyoka to block out other sounds.
- Heartbeat Fuzz (Hātobīto Fazu): Kyoka can plug her jacks into the amplifiers on her forearms, slamming the amplifiers onto the floor to finally channel a powerful heartbeat through them that shatters the ground.
Amplifier Jack: Devices that Kyoka can plug her jacks into, amplifying even further the sound and vibration of her heartbeat. They are worn on both her forearms.
Stereo Boots: A pair of boots that Kyoka can plug her ear phone jacks into. They amplify her heartbeat and can direct the vibrations in a certain direction.
- In the preliminary stages of the manga, Kyoka was virtually unchanged from her original design, albeit her hair lacked its signature streaks.
- Kyoka's name contains the kanji for "ear", "sound/reverberation", and "incense".
- Kyoka is the first person shown in the series to name her alias after her Quirk. The second being Kai Chisaki with his villain name "Overhaul".
- Kyoka's rankings in the Popularity Polls are as follows:
- Kyoka ranked 16th in the First Popularity Poll.
- Kyoka ranked 7th in the Second Popularity Poll.
- Kyoka's known U.A. data is as follows:
- Student No. 12 in Class 1-A
- Ranked 17th in the Quirk Apprehension Test
- Ranked 7th in Class 1-A's grades.
- Ranked in the Top 42 of the U.A. Sports Festival First-Year Stage.
- Kyoka's hair streaks are drawn similarly to the waves of an EKG, a possible reference to how she uses her earphone jacks to amplify her heartbeat.
- Along with Tsuyu Asui and Tooru Hagakure, Kyoka is the only known example of a character that has the exact same Quirk as one of their parents, in this case she shares her Earphone Jack Quirk with her mother Mika while Tsuyu's and Tooru's whole families have the same quirk.