Demon Eyes Kyou, also known as Kyou Mibu, is one of the main protagonist from the Samurai Deeper Kyo anime and manga.
Kyou is a legendary slayer of a thousand men and widely known as the single deadliest samurai in the history of the world. At the beginning of the story, Kyou is suffering from the small problem of his soul being trapped in the body of his most hated enemy, who sealed away Kyou's real body in a hidden location (Mt Fuji, to be exact) after defeating him at Sekigahara four years ago. Over the course of the story, Kyou must contend with an increasingly outrageous succession of opponents, who range from crazed Samurai out to kill him for revenge or reputation to enemies who are more or less gods. Ultimately, Kyou must fight his way through the legions of the infamous Mibu Clan (to which he used to belong) in order to learn the secrets surrounding his origin or rather, that's why everyone else is going. Kyou maintains that he couldn't care less about that; he just has some business to settle with the Crimson King. Kyou fights using the Mumyou-Jinpuu-Ryu school and wields the Muramasa "Demonblade" known as Tenro. By the end of the story, Kyou is without a doubt the most powerful character in the entire series.
In the AWA fics, Kyo is a student at the AWA Academy and is a part of Class 12.
In his true body, Kyo's most distinct and noticable trait are his crimson eyes, for which earned him his nickname, "Demon Eyes Kyo". He also has wild, unruly black hair that is at least waist length.
During the battle of Sekigahara he wore a red battle armor. After the fight against Kyoshiro, he wears a blue kimono. He has long nails.
In Kyoshiro body, he has blue hair and wears a white kimono in the beginning and later violet.
In the beginning of the manga, Kyo is depicted as a sadistic character who loves to kill his enemies, delighting in their deaths. He also has a tendency to ridicule and crack insulting comments toward enemies and allies alike. Over time, his bloodlust slowly decreases, though he still kills without mercy. However, as the series progressed, Kyo's more negative seemed to disappear with him becoming more quiet and calm, albeit still arrogant and wisecracking.
Kyo's weapon is Tenro, one of the "Four Great Demon Blades". It was forged by Muramasa, and it is nearly unbreakable. His sword style is The Sword of A Devilish Wind, which was taught to him by Muramasa. It teaches standard fencing skills and defense, but they are far more powerful than any of the skills of other sword styles. It is the most powerful sword school in the Mibu Clan. It utilizes attacks that can cut air and create illusions. He later learns a higher form of the style that utilizes the Four Symbols (Genbu, Seiryuu, Byakko,Suzaku and even Kouryuu, manifesting various different powers based upon the creatures.
- Kyo's Sword Style is calledSword of Yang:
The Yang Sword nullify an opponent's attack by hitting it with another attack of equal speed and energy. The Yang Sword has to block the opponent perfectly one tiny imperfection and user will take the blow without one to stop it.
- Kyo is a Master Swordsman (to the end of the manga, he is equal or even stronger than Former Crimson King in his True Form).
Kyo can call out to the True Mibu blood within him for a tremendous boost in power (these are the True Red Eyes of a True Mibu). In this state, Kyo's eyes become completely red and he emanates a suffocating, almost tangible, bloodlust that requires strong power of will to resist. The drawback is that the state is exhausting to maintain, and may leave him drained if he uses it for too long.
Kyo is the last descendant of the True Mibu Clan and within every True Mibu there is a demon who relish in slaughter and destruction. Stirred by battle and intense desire for strength, True Mibu's can awaken the demon within them and gain immense power in exchange for loosing their sanity; becoming a mindless berserker called Demon God.
Kyo has overcome the demon within him and absorbed its strength as his own to wield at his own leisure, which is signified by the ultimate red cross on his back, the sign of a true Aka No Ou. When Kyo evolved into the True Crimson King, his increased power gave him the ability to summon three Kouryu simultaneously, much like the Former Crimson King.
In his True Body, Kyo's Blood can heal (or revitalize) others and himself.
The ability to intimidate an opponent using the killing aura.
- Kyo is the first character from Samurai Deeper Kyo to be introduced in the AWA fics.
- Demon Eyes Kyo (Onime no Kyo), bears a striking resemblence to Madara Uchiha, from Naruto, due to the Red Eyes (which would be Madara's Sharingan), long black hair, serious attitude, and red armor. Considering Samurai Deeper Kyo came first, Madara may possibly have been inspired by Kyo, though this is unconfirmed.
- He also resembles to Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach (in sword fighting and power up).
- Probably, One Piece's Cavendish and his second personality Hakuba are inspired to Kyo and Kyoshiro Mibu in the first volumes of the Manga
- Throughout the series, it is revealed Kyo is not as cold-hearted, as first implied. He gets angry, when people were dishonoring Muramasa's name, and smiles when first returning to the Land of the Mibu, showing a bit of nostalgia in his thoughts.
- It is shown he is a pervert, one example being in chapter 120, when he has Yuya over his shoulder, and touches/grabs/slaps her butt.