Kurisu Makise is one of the main characters from the Steins;Gate anime and games.
Kurisu is an 18-year-old teen genius apparently killed at the very beginning of the story, only to appear both alive and confused at Okabe's assertion that she's supposed to be dead. She becomes the fourth and final of the primary lab members and does a lot of the work on the time machine. Despite her excellent skills in physics, she's actually a neuroscientist.
In the Heroes Coalition fics, Kurisu attends at an unnamed University in Neo-City.
Kurisu is a slender young woman with waist-length, reddish hair, and dull violet eyes. Her hair, which she prefers to let loose, ranges in ginger shades all the way from mahogany to auburn. The hair color differs considerably in the anime (red) from the original VN (chestnut). The part of her name "Kuri" means chestnut, and so her hair color is most likely to resemble the color of a chestnut.
She has an unusual sense of fashion, with her outfit being composed of a white long-sleeved blue-rimmed dress shirt with a red necktie. Her shirt is tucked into a pair of black shorts on top of black tights, held up by a white belt with a gold buckle. Her red tie hangs loosely around her collar, and she wears a loose khaki jacket that covers her upper thighs, and has black and white straps at the end of both sleeves and the rim which are used to keep the entire jacket on her arms. She also wears a pair of black boots which are partially unzipped and folded down.
Once "recruited" into the Future Gadgets laboratory, Okabe gave her Daru's white lab coats that he never uses and is often seen wearing one while in-lab. Like Okabe, Kurisu appeared to be interested in lab coats.
Throughout the series, Kurisu shows a sensible and mature attitude, usually calm and collected even when someone is acting tense in front of her. However, she can also show a much more timid side at times. She has been described as a tsundere by Rintarou Okabe and Itaru Hashida time and time again, though she is shown to be annoyed whenever someone calls her that. Kurisu is also practical and a realist, almost to a fault; initially, she believes firmly that time machines are fiction and refuses to believe the Phonewave is one even after seeing it in action, claiming that Okabe had simply seen what he wanted to see. It takes the group's looking up SERN's research about time travel to finally convince Kurisu of the truth.
Mature as she is, Kurisu is very sarcastic, and often expresses this through her annoyance at Okabe's 'mad scientist' antics. She is shown frequently to hate being nicknamed, as she dislikes all of the names that Okabe gives her, with 'The Zombie' bugging her most of all. Notably, she is the only member of the lab who addresses everyone by their real names, with the exception of Faris (whose real name she doesn't know) and occasionally Daru. Ironically, on the rare occasions Okabe uses her real name, she takes it as a sign that something is seriously wrong.
Kurisu says that she is not good at sports, but she loves swimming. More than liking the pool itself, she likes the feeling of floating in water. Kurisu describes it like you have been released from gravity, like a load has been taken off your muscles. Swimming puts Kurisu in a good mood, to the point that when Okabe calls her "Assistant", she does not retort towards the name. Kurisu can swim very well, despite Okabe's beliefs in that everyone was a "hikikomori".
Though she is hesitant to admit it, she is a frequent user of the text board @Channel, donning the identity "KuriGohan and Kamehameha". Okabe likes to trick her into admitting this habit, much to her chagrin. When posting on @channel her personality is noticeably different, as she often uses Netspeak or emoticons to communicate and her posts are generally much less mature than her usual dialogue.
Her accomplishments in spite of her youth have exposed Kurisu to the jealousy of those who consider themselves her betters. This includes her own father, who despises her for overshadowing him and causing his fall into obscurity. This is the reason behind her acerbic attitude, which she adopted as a defence mechanism to hide her vulnerabilities. At heart, Kurisu is a very curious girl who loves science and can not resist an interesting experiment. She occasionally makes statements - for example, that data collection should be considered before a subject's privacy - that have led Okabe to dub her a fellow mad scientist, much to her annoyance.
- In the Heroes Coalitions, Kurisu seems to be good friends with Gillian Norman.
- Like many other anime girls (and some guys), Kurisu entered Saimoe Contests.
- On September 25th 2014, Kurisu Makise won the AnimeBracket - Best Girl Contest, with 6620 votes. She topped the Aquamarine 1 stage of the International Saimoe contest.
- Kurisu, while being a proper Japanese name, is also the Japanese pronunciation of the western name Chris. This is likely the origin of her nickname Christina.
- Kurisu has two separate endings associated with her. While both focus on her relationship with Rintarou, only one of them will lead to the true outcome of the game. (Both Mayuri and Kurisu saved)
- Okabe gives Kurisu several nicknames over the course of Steins;Gate, only calling her by her real name in serious situations. Kurisu's most frequent nicknames are "Assistant" or "Christina" (by adding '-tina' to 'Kurisu'), but Okabe also calls her "The Zombie", "Money Bags", "@Channeler", "Mongolian Spot", "Experiment Loving Girl", "Perverted Genius Girl", "Cold-Blooded Perverted Girl Genius", "Experiment Loving Perverted Genius Girl", "Celeb Seventeen" (sometimes shortened to "Celeb Sev"), "Celeb Thirty". Even though Kurisu seems to hate being nicknamed, she thinks it is hopeless to point that out to Okabe.
- Kurisu is known by lab members and Okabe especially as the source of evil, even worse, the terror in the kitchen, as they despise Kurisu's many-a-times questionable cooking skills and taste palate. Okabe once stated that the lab will fall into the pits of Hell if Kurisu ever cooks, even when Mayuri is helping her and Luka once complained that Kurisu's apple pie tasted like death. She even tasted Okabe's gel-nana without any hesitation, even when Okarin and Daru warned her.
- In the light novels and drama CDs, Kurisu is shown to be upset about her small bust size, to the point where she will angrily yell at people if they even allude to it. That is likely also a reference to his voice actress, Asami Imai's real-life gag.
- In the anime Robotics;Notes during episode 15, Kurisu's @channel handle "KURI_KAME KuriGohan and Kamehameha" is seen posting on "Twipo" on December 20th, 2019 at 10:05 am about the differences between and limitations of 2D and 3D.
- Lab Member 004. She joined at episode 3 in the anime. She is recruited by Okabe due to her curiosity of Gel-banas, the Phone Microwave (name subject to change) and her intelligence is certainly a great asset to the Future Gadget Laboratory's cause.
- Kurisu is also a secret playable character in (Phantom Breaker EXTRA), In order to unlock her you have to get 15+ stars in battle situation mode using Ende.
- Her handle name KuriGohan and Kamehameha could be based off Dragon Ball Z, particularly the characters Kuririn and Gohan and the energy wave technique Kamehameha.
- Regarding the 'What I wanted the most now is my fork', it was supposed to be a birthday gift from her dad, Shouichi Makise back when she was 7 years old. However the gift was not delivered due to an argument between the two and was kept in hold by Shouichi's good friend, Akiha Yukitaka.The gift will then be delivered to Kurisu before she time leaped to convince Okabe to not give up on Mayuri and seek help from her (the first time she tells Okabe that she knows that he time leaped). This can be found in Kurisu's Story in Steins;Gate Linear Bounded Phenogram (Visual Novel).
- In the story "Aishin Meizu no Babel" / "Babel of the Grieved Maze" (Drama CD Alpha / Manga), Kurisu learned her father's past from a casette tape Faris made her listen to, it is about the research her father kept on researching, time travel. This casette tape belongs to Faris's father, Akiha Yukitaka. Later on after she left Okabe in front of the train station, Faris caught up with her and made her listen to the other side of the casette tape she listened before. It contains her father's message, about what he feel when both his professor and close friends died in year 2000, and his apologizing for getting mad over Kurisu and left her, and about the gift he kept in Akiha's place, "My Fork". Faris brought that gift with her and give it to Kurisu after she listened the casette tape.
- In the 1 minute and 3 seconds ONA "Mahou Shoujo Sonico Magica Puella Magi Sonico Magica", Kurisu has a cameo appearence.
- There are a lot of similarities referencing Steins;Gate in all of the works 5pb, Nitroplus and MAGES. create. In Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1, the character MAGES. can wear outfits of Faris, Mayuri, Kurisu (etc.) The main character Neptune also shares Kurisu's love for pudding.
- In another time traveling related anime, July 28th is the day the world ends. Kurisu died on July 28th. This may have foreshadowed that her death will result in the end of the world.
- Mayuri is so innocent and honest, Kurisu once thought that Mayuri was kidnapped by Okabe.
- According to Okabe, Kurisu's lips are warm and possess a faint smell of lemon
- Kurisu drank a can of alcoholic beer once, and was drunk before she could finish it, causing Okabe heaps of trouble. During the time she was drunk, she pushed Okabe downstairs and asked him to hug her and spend some quality time together. Okabe however, was too shy to even reply. Kurisu then hugs him even tighter and both of them fell down a flock of stairs, giving both of them a headache.→
- Though hesitant to confess her feelings for Okabe, she does, in fact, loves him. This has been shown many times through out the series and most noticably when she was drunk.
- Her emotions can change rapidly whenever Okabe's around.