Ikaruga is an antagonist from the Fairy Tail anime and manga.
Ikaruga was the leader of the Trinity Raven, a group of assassins from the Death's Head Caucus that worked under Jellal Fernandes.
In the AWA fics, Ikaruga is a member of the Apostles of the New World.
Ikaruga has long, bright pink hair which is tied on top of her head in two large buns. She has a curvaceous figure, peach skin, a beauty mark underneath each eye and sports red lipstick.
She wears a long, slightly loose white kimono with a red stripe in between two black stripes around the waist as well as a red triangle at the bottom of her dress, decorated by flames and skulls motifs, open at the top to reveal her shoulders and a fair amount of cleavage; it's closed around the waist by a large black belt adorned with a horned skull. Her guild insignia is incorporated into her kimono and seen at the end of both of its sleeves. In the anime, however, both the skulls on her robe and the one on her belt are left out. She also has ribbons tied around the sleeves, a buckled strap around her neck and traditional sandals with extremely high platforms soles. Her guild insignia can be seen at the bottom of her robe; sakura petals can often be seen floating around her.
Ikaruga is a calm and collected person. She retains a calm demeanor even during battle, though she is not above mocking her opponents and their abilities, yet she can also be seen praising their skills if they prove themselves worthy. However, she was visibly upset when she thought Erza Scarlet was underestimating her, implying very great self-confidence and pride.
She seems to have a penchant for poetic phrasing, and, despite being dressed quite scantily herself, reprimanded Erza for donning such revealing armors in a male's presence.
Sword Magic (Ken no Mahō): Through this Magic which she uses concurrently with her sword, Ikaruga can perform various sword spells which were strong enough to break one of Erza's most powerful armors.
- Yasha's Empty Flash (Yasha Senkū): A technique that allows Ikaruga to slash whatever she is attacking without touching it with the blade, shattering even Magic Armor or weapons with one attack.
- Garuda Flame (Karura-en): A technique that creates fire from Ikaruga's blade. It has the same properties as Yasha's Empty Flash and was powerful enough to destroy Erza Scarlet's Flame Empress Armor, which is known for halving the damage inflicted by fire-based attacks.
Master Swordsmanship Specialist: Ikaruga is masterful in swordsmanship, and before her match with Erza Scarlet she had never lost a battle. She was able to easily slice and defeat Shô before he could react and even managed to slice his cards in half, showing that Ikaruga also possesses immense precision with her cuts. She was able to match and even overwhelm Erza with her swordplay and shattered most of her armors with relatively little effort. She is seemingly capable of attacking things which are out of her sword's range, sending slashes which fly through the air itself which can remain floating in it until the right moment to slash, according to Ikaruga.
Immense Speed: Ikaruga was able to slice Erza and Shô, who were both some meters away from her position, without them seeing her move. She was also able to destroy Erza's Purgatory Armor before Erza could react.
Mugetsu-Ryu (Mugetsu-Ryū): Ikaruga uses a Magic katana named Mugetsu-Ryu.
In the manga, Mugetsu-Ryu looks like a normal katana with an extremely long blade, reminiscent of a nodachi, with a decorated handguard and traditional hilt-wrapping and pommel.
In the anime, however, it is given a much more distinctive appearance, having a western-looking red and black handguard and the traditional yellow and red hilt-wrapping flanked by golden-colored plates on the hilt, which end in a very ornate, carved pommel. The lacquered sheath is red and has several small bells tied to the end of the scabbard where it meets the blade's hilt. Ikaruga states that it has the ability to cut through anything.
- Her name, Ikaruga, is the Japanese name for the Japanese Grosbeak.
- In the manga, she has a skull pattern on her kimono, though in the anime this is absent.
- When Ikaruga is first shown in the anime, the song playing in the background is the traditional Japanese score "Sakura".
- In the manga, when Erza defeated her, Ikaruga received a deep cut that bled out profusely. In the anime, though, after they exchanged blows, she was only shown falling to the ground while her sword, Mugetsu-Ryu, broke and shattered to pieces. After, when the Tower of Heaven exploded, Fukurosaved both Ikaruga and Vidaldus, taking them away from the tower through the use of his rockets, while in the manga, she died.