Hsien-Ko is one of the major characters from the Darkstalkers games.
The twins Hsien-Ko and Mei-Ling were born to a family of Senjutsushi spiritualists. One day their family was attacked and the twins' mother, in order to save them, banished the monsters by sacrificing herself, sealing her soul in the darkness. The twins wanted to save their mother's soul, and in order to do that they performed a magic spell that turned Hsien-Ko into a Kyon-Shi (the "hopping vampire" of Chinese folklore), and turned Mei-Ling into the sealing ward that prevents Hsien-Ko from going berserk, taking the form of a seal. They set out to hunt monsters and in general doing good deeds (to earn enough brownie points for their mother).
After releasing their mother's soul from darkness, they were reincarnated as normal girls. During their 16th birthday, their powers from their past life activated, gaining Jedah's attention and sucking them into Majigen. Their souls took the forms of their former bodies, and they fight for their survival with their newfound powers (they don't have memories from their past-life). In the end they returned to their normal lives.
In the XP4 fics, Hsien-Ko debuted in XP4 Heroes Coalition - Neo-City Diaries.
Hsien-ko has a light-bluish skin tone, a short blue hair and has red eyes. She wears a pinkish-red uniform coat-like robe with an open cleavage and a yellow sash tied around her waist, a dark-blue dress shirt with a large oversized long-sleeves with claws, a dark-blue baggy pants, pink slip shoes, a pink & yellow round-tall top rimmed hat with a talisman dangling on it.
Hsien-Ko is a respectful, goodhearted, and honorable person who opposes evil from a supernatural being. She has an intimate interest in men who seek to improve themselves and help others. This is often the reason why she does not have feelings for Lord Raptor.
She is very protective when it comes to her family and the relationships she makes with others and dislike those who disregard their own humanity in search for absolute power. There is however a darker side to Hsien-Ko, as she holds a personal grudge to demons and those that hurt innocent people, and is afraid of the Jiang Shi trying to consume her mind.
In moments she doesn't need to fight or in not-so-tense moments she seems to be somewhat clumsy, accidentally leaving a lot of her weapons to fall unexpectally, or hitting people heads with some of her enormous gadgets without intention.
Mei-Ling, being the older sister, is a kind, humble, funny woman who is smart in the field of weaponry, like their mother, she is respectful to those who are at peace with themselves and not by what others think of them.
Hsien-ko is a member of the Heroes Coalitions and is part of the Squad of Excellence as an honorary member. She also attends the Vanguard Academy as a student.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Neo-City Diaries
In Chapter 3, Hsien-Ko is seen on top of the training facility alongside Luna Platz observing Geo Stelar and Sonia Strumm down below. She then pointed out Luna's inability to express her feelings towards Geo which Luna argued back that she is doing the same thing towards her crush on Frank West which she denied. The jiang shi then pointed out that Geo and Sonia are gone, much to Luna's disappointment.
In Chapter 4, Hsien-Ko greeted Luna Platz inside the Training Facility and asked Luna how her confession go but Luna replied that she'll save it for another time.
In Chapter 7, Hsien-Ko, alongside members of the Universal Guardians and Squad of Excellence, is present in the Mission Briefing Room in the Training Facility where Dr. Michael Pating brief them about their mission in the Halidom of Ylisse before departing.
In Chapter 21, Hsien-Ko, alongside Luna Platz, is seen walking towards the Sakura Tree at the Training Camp where Geo Stelar and Netto "Lan" Hikari are seen reading comics.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Awakening
In Chapter 1, Hsien-Ko, alongside members of the Universal Guardians and Squad of Excellence, arrives in a forest somewhere in Ylisse and appears to be lost. They later came across Chrom, Frederick, Lissa and Robin and quickly befriends them. After having conversation about the Emotionless, both sides decided to work together to eliminate the creatures. They decided to camp for the rest of the night.
In Chapter 2, Hsien-Ko, alongside members of the Universal Guardians, the Squad of Excellence and Chrom's group, arrives in Ylisse and met up with Owain. Later, after Chrom decided to have a meeting with Frederick, Geo Stelar and Luna Platz, the rest decided to meet up with the Shepherds at the garrison. Later, Chrom and the others arrived and claims to have an announcement.
In Chapter 4, Hsien-Ko, alongside her team, Lissa, Donnel, Ricken, Henry and Miriel, are seen walking around a forest somewhere in Ylisstol when they came across Nowi. Then Emotionless emerges from the dark before taking on and defeating the creatures.
In Chapter 6, Hsien-Ko, alongside her team, Chrom, Sumia, Robin, Owain, Gregor and Olivia met up with Basilio, Flavia, Lon'qu and Cordelia at East Ferox to discuss about the Emotionless when Raimi arrives and told everyone that the fort is being attacked by the Emotionless. Everyone fought the creatures and managed to get rid of them before heading back inside the fort.
In Chapter 7, Hsien-Ko, alongside Soul Eater Evans, Gemini Sunrise, Maka Albarn, Virion, Vaike, Henry and Sully, are seen laughing at Natsu Dragneel scrubbing Dan Kusou's underwears at the garrison.
In Chapter 11, Hsien-Ko is at the garrison when they heard a noise, they ran to the corridors to see Ryuuko Matoi and Ricken chasing a strange hooded figure. Everyone went after the figure and led them to a large grassy fields, and reveals itself as a Pokemon known as Hitmonlee. The Pokemon then revealed that he stole an ancient alien artifact called the Ara-Ka Cube inside the castle. Everyone watches in horror as Hitmonlee uses the alien artifact to summon a zombified version of Emmeryn and Phila, much to everyone's disgust. Hitmonlee then summoned a large number of Emotionless, forcing Hsien-Ko and everyone to fight. Hsien-Ko then witnessed Donnel activating his Gift.
In Chapter 12 & Epilogue, Hsien-Ko, alongside everyone, witnessed Donnel activating his Gift turning both Emmeryn and Phila back to life. After defeating the remaining Emotionless, forcing Hitmonlee to flee, life in Ylisstol went back to normal.
Hsien-Ko and Mei-Ling have many supernatural powers such as the ability to see the souls of people and other supernatural beings, fly in the air, change their skin color to match the area they are at, and even teleport to different areas and travel in daylight. They also have the ability to switch time and space.
Hsien-Ko can make her eyes glow a yellow aura when using her power and can turn her nails into claws, and she is very skilled in hand-to-hand combat due to her amazing strength, and her proficiency with weapons such as kunai, knives, saw blades, weights, spiked balls, daggers, shurikens, and axes.
Her sister can turn herself into a talisman and is also good with combat and weapony, such as swords, boomerangs, bombs, rocks, chains, claws, as well as bonsai tree plants.
Hsien-Ko can lose herself if she has a taste of blood; her personality traits will be heightened to the point of insanity.
- Hsien-Ko's Chinese name Hé Xiān Gū comes from one of the Eight Immortals in the Taoist pantheon.
- Hsien-Ko was planned to be in Tatsunoko Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes as a playable character but was dropped.
- Lord Raptor has romantic feelings for Hsien-Ko due to him being a fellow supernatural being, as demonstrated by his special intro towards her, but she does not seem to share this interest in him. In Namco × Capcom, Raptor constantly attempts to go on a date with her, but she wants nothing to do with him. She also mentions her dislike of Raptor in the Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, saying her opponent was annoying, but not nearly as annoying as Lord Raptor.
- Xiao Lon from KOF Maximum Impact Regulation "A" also seems inspired by Hsien-Ko in terms of appearance and especially fighting style.
- Taokaka from the BlazBlue series may also be a reference, having large sleeves with metal claws and saws in them.
- Hsien-Ko was announced in Project × Zone along with fellow Capcom character Frank West, who is ironically a man who fights zombies.
- Hsien-Ko and Mei-Ling are mostly likely fraternal twins, as neither of them look similar (Hsien-Ko has spiky purple hair, and Mei-Ling has straight brown hair).
- Hsien-Ko has had the same voice actress in nearly all of her video games appearances up to Namco × Capcom: Michiko Neya (the exception being Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, where Kae Araki took over). As of Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds she is now voiced by Saori Hayami.
- In Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire, Mei-Ling is also voiced by Michiko Neya via reverb and in Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix (Pocket Fighter) using an unregulated voice. Despite this she is voiced by actresses different from those of Hsien-Ko in all other appearances in Japanese media as well as all English appearances.
- In the Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge OVA, Hsien-Ko's design looks like Chun-Li from the Street Fighter series in her human form, this is due to the characters being drawn by the same artist
- Furthering this resemblance is the fact that her Japanese OVA voice, Yūko Miyamura, voiced Chun-Li in most of her video game appearances in the mid-to-late '90s.
- Her first appearances in both Namco × Capcom and Project × Zone have several things in common. She first appears in the fifth prologue chapter of the game. Both levels take place on a boat. She meets the representatives of Resident Evil in this stage. Also, she is called by Lord Raptor who greets her with the words "My sweetheart! Hsien-Kohhhh (Lei-Lei-chan)!!" in both games.
- In Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, most of the English-speaking actors, including the announcer, cannot properly pronounce her name, instead saying it as "shin-ko", "sen-ko", "sheng-ko", and "hee-sen-ko". The correct way is in fact "syen-ko", as heard in Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix.
- According to concept art, Hsien-Ko's many weapons are stored in carrying devices she holds onto, while her claw weapons are in fact chained directly to her scapulas.
- Hsien-Ko is the only character in the series to transform into more than one person when hit by Demitri's Midnight Bliss.
- Hsien-Ko keeps a statue of Akuma made of clay that she carries.
- Unlike Anita, whose Japanese name became her defacto English name (from Amanda), her sister's English name varied. Pre-Vampire Savior, it was Mei-Ling, until the game used the Japanese name for her sister, Lin-Lin. As of Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, her sister's name is once again Mei-Ling, and she even calls her Mei as a nickname.