Gray Fullbuster is one of the main characters of the Fairy Tail anime and manga.
Gray is an ice wizard and rival of Natsu, who happens to be a fire wizard. Though more down-to-earth than most of his guildmates, he has the unhealthy habit of taking off his clothes without thinking. He was taught everything he knows about magic by the wizard Ur, whom he took up training under for the sole purpose of taking vengeance against the demon Deliora for killing his family. But his overconfidence resulted in Ur's sacrifice, and he's tried to remain level-headed ever since.
In the AWA fics, Gray is a student at the AWA Academy and is part of Class 7.
In the XP4 fics, Gray debuted in the XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!.
Gray's most prominent feature is his spiky black-colored hair. He has dark blue eyes, and his body is toned and muscular.
After the mission on Galuna Island, he gets a scar on his forehead above his left eye that is partially covered by his hair. He also has a cross-shaped scar on his lower abdomen received from using Seven Slice Dance: Blood Version on Tenrou Island. His member stamp is below his collarbone on his right pectoral muscle and is dark blue in color.
Unlike almost all other characters, Gray does not consistently wear the same type of clothes (that is, when he is wearing some), though he is often shown wearing some kind of white coat.
Still, his most consistent pieces of clothing are his necklace, which resembles a sword with a stone in it, a metal bracelet and a chain which is attached to the belt loops on the right side of his pants. After obtaining Ice Devil Slayer Magic from his father, he gains a tattoo symbolizing the Magic on his right arm. Following his entry into the Avatar cult, he has seemingly erased his Fairy Tail mark, replacing it with Avatar's mark, but it turned out to be only an overlay on his black marks.
Gray has a laid-back personality, but will get serious when the time calls for it. He and Natsu have a friendly rivalry, and while they can often be seen fighting one another verbally or physically, the two are actually quite concerned about each other. Gray was quite obstinate and reckless when he was younger, but over time, he has attained a more cautious attitude towards life, and deals with problems carefully. He is very concerned about his comrades and is truly loyal towards his guild, but tends to trash talk every now and then. Also, he has a disturbing habit of unconsciously removing his clothes (including underwear) at inappropriate moments. Also, Gray is quite skilled in acting as an evil person, as shown in year X792, when he infiltrated Avatar on Erza's request, something that manages to prompt Briar to remark Gray's desire for "revenge" against E.N.D.has stained both his soul and skin.
Gray is a member of the Heroes Coalitions and is part of the Deadly Hearts. He also attends Vanguard Academy as a student.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!
In Chapter 2, Gray alongside his team, the Deadly Hearts took on a group of Somalian Pirates in island somewhere in Sweet-Somalia. After defeating the pirates, the team were thanked by the island's residents when Major Richard Stronghold arrives and they told him that they'll be staying in the island for several more days.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Neo-City Diaries
In Chapter 3, Gray alongside Ranma Saotome and Eijiro Kirishima are seen running around playing catch at the Training Camp grounds before passing-by Geo Stelar and Sonia Strumm on a bench.
In Chapter 12, Gray is seen running around the Training Facility when Raya Amanda chases Alden Cole around with a machine gun.
Ice-Make - A form of Molding Magic that allows the user to create ice at his will and to shape it into objects. In Gray's case, he uses Static Ice-Make, meaning he can shape his ice into inanimate things or weapons. Ice-Make is known as an extremely versatile form of Magic, coming in useful both in battle, for offensive and defensive purposes, and outside of it. Specializing in it and having been practicing it for years, Gray possesses extreme mastery over it, being capable of creating countless amounts of objects for a multitude of uses. Also, according to him, Ice-Make allows the user to produce virtually anything, granting the user an unmatched creation capability. As an Ice-Make user, Gray is an individual resistant to cold and as such is able to take damage from ice and snow-based attacks without sustaining major injury and is either completely immune to snow based attacks such as Eve Tearm's Snow Magic or is more resilient to it than other people.
- Ice-Make: Lance - Gray extends his arms forward, creating long, curved ice lances that he shoots toward his enemy, impaling them. This makes for a powerful ranged attack.
- Ice-Make: Freeze Lancer - Gray creates larger ice lances that he attacks his enemy with.
- Ice-Make: Block - Gray uses one hand to create a big block of ice that is able to block incoming attacks.
- Ice-Make: Shield - Gray creates a large shield made of ice in front of him, whose shape is vaguely reminiscent of a flower, which shields everything behind it. Originally, Gray's shield was identical in appearance to Ur's. When fighting Rufus, however, it took a new unique shape, reminiscent of both Ur's and Lyon's shield.
- Ice-Make: Hammer - Gray creates a large ice hammer that floats above his opponent before dropping on them with great force. The first time Gray used this against Lyon, he was blocked.
- Ice-Make: Ice Hammer - Gray creates a giant spiked hammer made out of ice and hammers it onto the target.
- Ice-Make: Ice Impact - Gray creates an intricately-designed hammer made of ice, which he brought down onto the targeted area, creating a great impact.
- Ice-Make: Floor - Gray simply freezes the floor, which makes anyone in the area slip. Gray is also capable of freezing water with this spell, and slide on the resultant floor.
- Ice-Make: Arrows - Gray creates one or more arrows out of ice, which are subsequently shot at high speed to enemies through the use of an ice bow.
- Ice-Make: Super Freeze Arrow - Using Ice-Make: Ice Geyser and standing on top of the resulting ice formation, Gray can rise up to a high point to shoot his arrow; after the shot, the speed of the arrow increases with gravity and air pressure, making this attack much deadlier than usual. The first time Gray used this was to defeat Racer.
- Ice-Make: Battle Axe - Gray creates an axe out of ice for melee combat and swings it around him. The first time he used this was against Juvia, but it was ineffective.
- Ice-Make: Sword - Gray creates a sword out of ice for melee combat. The sword is very durable, being capable of cutting and parrying other weapons as if it were made of metal.
- Ice-Make: Cold Excalibur - Gray creates a massive great-sword out of ice for melee combat. As with its smaller version, the weapon is very strong and sharp; in addition, its slashes seem capable of leaving behind large wakes of ice which can damage the opponents.
- Ice-Make: Ice Bringer - Gray generates two swords of ice in his hands and rapidly moves them forward in an X motion to slash his opponent.
- Ice-Make: Ice Geyser - Freezing the ground in front of him, Gray creates a tower of ice spikes that impales opponents, greatly damaging them. The first time Gray used this was to attack Lyon, but he failed.
- Ice-Make: Prison - Gray creates a large square cage out of ice to trap opponents. The first time he used this was to stop Lyon's ice animals from attacking him.
- Ice-Make: Clone - Gray creates a copy of himself made out of ice. The copy is perfectly identical to him, being revealed as made of ice only after a close, careful inspection, and thus coming in useful to avoid enemy attacks or to create a distraction for Gray to attack on his own. Gray has shown the capability to form at least two copies at a time.
- Ice Blade: Seven Slice Dance - After creating ice blades jutting back from both of his forearms, Gray displays his swordsmanship by rapidly slashing his enemy seven times. This is often used as a finishing move, causing heavy damage to the enemy.
- Ice-Make: Fireworks - Gray is able to shot small beams of ice from his hands, forming ice fireworks that looks like snowflakes in the sky.
- Ice-Make: Stairs - Gray makes stairs out of ice, so that he can get to previously unreachable places. The stairs, despite the nature of the material composing them, don't seem to be slippy at all. The first time Gray used this was to find Lyon.
- Ice-Make: Slide - Gray makes a slide out of ice, so that he can get to previously unreachable places. The first time Gray used this was to find Lyon.
- Ice-Make: Rampart - Gray creates an extremely massive and high wall out of ice, which can stop his opponents in their tracks, but uses up a lot of Magic. The first time Gray used this was to stop Racer.
- Ice-Make: Grappling Hook - Gray creates two four-pointed grappling hooks with chains connected with the Ice-Make auras around his hands, which can be used to hold grasp of higher surfaces or objects, allowing him to lift himself.
- Ice-Make: Death Scythe - Gray first creates a large scythe made out of ice, and then jumps into the air. When he's high enough, he swings the scythe at his opponent.
- Ice-Make: Key - Gray is able to create an identical key to that of the Dragon Chain Cannon's device and a copy of Zash Caine's vault key made of ice.
- Ice-Make: Gungnir - Gray releases a gigantic lance out of ice which traps the opponent in it.
- Ice-Make: Knuckle - Freezing the ground under his opponent, Gray creates a tower made of large ice fists which strikes his opponent.
- Ice-Make: Saucer - Gray creates a large, spinning ice disk, capable of cutting through like a buzz-saw, which he launches at his target.
- Ice-Make: Fishnet - Gray releases an icy wind from his hands, which takes on a fishnet-like shape, and allows him to freeze his opponent.
- Ice-Make: Ice Wall - An alternative version of Ice-Make: Ice Geyser, which freezes the opponent instead of impaling them.
- Ice-Make: Cocoon - Gray surrounds his body with a cocoon of ice, which has spikes jutting outwards, to protect himself from enemy attacks. It has a similar purpose to Ice-Make: Shield, but protecting Gray on every side instead of one. It's unknown, though, if this spell is durable like its standard counterpart.
- Ice-Make: Kite - Gray creates a kite under which allows him to fly in the air.
- Ice-Make: Ocean - Gray, after joining both of his hands, slams them on a large body of water, completely freezing it in few seconds.
- Ice-Make: Crescent Blades - Gray fires a barrage of crescent-shaped ice projectiles, allowing him to attack multiple targets at once
- Ice-Make Unlimited: One Sided Chaotic Dance - Gray creates a large number of big Ice Swords, which he can command to attack one or more enemies.
- Ice-Make: Thieving Hand - Gray forms a hand out of ice, which resembles a human hand; sporting five fingers and a palm. The hand's long branch enables Gray to sneakingly steal items, such as small bottles, without the owners noticing.
- Ice-Make: Platform - Gray creates a platform of ice for which he can use to maintain his footing. Multiple platforms can be made, and can also be used as a means of giving himself the necessary momentum to perform a powerful follow-up attack.
- Ice-Make: Cannon - Gray crafts a small, ornate cannon from ice, with which he can use nearby rubble as ammunition to fire against his target; multiple cannons can be created and fired simultaneously.
- Ice-Make: Ice Cannon - Having created a large, bazooka-like hand-held cannon, Gray fires a cannonball made of ice to deal massive damage to his opponent. The first time he used this was to defeat Lyon.
- Ice-Make: Vambrace - Gray creates a large gauntlet-like sculpture made of ice around their arm, in order to dramatically enhance their throwing strength and speed. The Vambrace was capable of being used to throw a steel ball with enough force to pierce through Silver Fullbuster's chest, defeating him.
- Ice-Make: Silver - Summoning his Ice Devil Slayer Magic, Gray boosts the power of his Ice-Make. Gesturing with his right hand, he is then able to freeze a humongous area in front of him. This Spell allowed him to easily freeze and destroy Ajeel Ramal's Sand Golem.
- Ice-Make: Wheel - Gray molds ice to form replacement parts of a broken wheel.
Ice Magic - Ice Magic allows the user to manipulate or create the element of ice. Little is known about Ice Magic, as there have only been a few spells used so far. An inherent property of the magic, Gray is capable of freezing objects he comes into contact with. Gray, with his great mastery of ice spells, has proven himself capable of freezing even burning things such as Juvia's boiling water and Fukuro's flames, as well as to freeze an object faster than Sugarboy's Rosa Espada could soften it.
- Iced Shell - Gray also has knowledge of this forbidden, extremely dangerous and powerful Magic, and has expressed the certainty that he could use it, if he were forced to.
Ice Devil Slayer Magic - A form of Devil Slayer Magic that Gray can manifest at will which allows him to produce, manipulate and control the element of ice. Like other Slayers, Gray is able to consume external sources of ice in order to replenish his strength and enhance his power while at the same time granting immunity to it. This form of Magic is extremely powerful and effective against Demons. Gray was given his father'sMagic following his defeat and departure. To some degree, it appears that Devil Slayers have the ability to resist the effects of Curses (or at least the "Ultimate Curse" Memento Mori). It has also been suggested that Devil Slayer Magic is a very fickle Magic, and that learning it too quickly and making use of its properties in rapid succession have had adverse effects on Gray, causing him to become afflicted with black markings that have thus far spread across half of his body on two occasions. Nevertheless, Gray himself said that with some help of Porlyusica, was able to gain control over it. He has become proficient enough in this Magic to be able to encase an enemy in a spiked cocoon of ice, roll him across a field of enemies and manipulate it into an immense burst of ice in a matter of seconds. Gray also can use this Magic to boost the power of his Ice-Make. One of the most effective aspects of this type of Magic is its ability to completely freeze everything within a large radius with a mere flick of the wrist. In one instance, Gray, who recently inherited his father Silver's Magic, was able to completely freeze multiple twisters from Tempester who was in his Etherious Form. In year X792 after training, Gray is able to freeze people solid, as shown when he froze Goumon, before he could harm Lucy.
- Ice Devil's Rage - Gray releases a large beam of cold air, ice and (seemingly) snow from his mouth, directing it towards his target. The girth of the beam easily dwarfed Mard Geer, but the power of Gray's spell is unknown as Mard was able to dodge it easily.
- Ice Devil's Zeroth Long Sword - Gray creates a ethereal long sword from his palms that he uses to slash at his opponent(s) with, inflicting a deep cut into his opponent's body severely damaging them and having the added effect of freezing his target(s) solid. Gray was shown using this spell which was shown to be powerful enough to defeat the Etherious and Nine Demon Gates member Tempester in his Etherious Form with a single strike.
- Ice Devil's Zeroth Destruction Bow - Gray creates an intricate bow made of ice and fires an arrow from it at high speeds. When the arrow makes contact, it turns into a spiky array of ice that heavily damages the target's body. The spell was shown to greatly damage the pseudo-leader of Tartaros: Mard Geer Tartaros.
- Ice Devil's Zeroth Destruction Fist - Gray, after using his Ice-Make to mold and shape the ice from Invel's True-Ice Kamui, creates a pair of destructively powerful gauntlets with the same properties as the aforementioned spell, and uses them to brutalize his target.
Unison Raid - Gray is capable of using this ability, although he has only performed it alongside Juvia till now. During their fight against Daphne's Dragonoid, Gray and Juvia were able to fuse their Magic together, causing massive amounts of water and ice needles to erupt all over Magnolia Town, instantaneously destroying Daphne's Lizardmen.
- Shotgun - Gray utilizes water provided by a Water Mage in conjunction with his Ice-Make Magic to solidify the water, which is then aimed at the target and released as sharp, thick spears of ice.
Expert Weapons Specialist - Gray has displayed considerably great ability in wielding the weapons produced by his Ice-Make spells. He is very skilled in swordsmanship with his constructed ice swords of various forms and sizes, and is also more than capable of wielding other types of bladed weapons. He has also shown to be adept at marksmanship, using his ice bow to shoot arrows from great distances with pinpoint accuracy.
Expert Hand-to-Hand Combatant - Gray possesses great skill in hand-to-hand combat, first seriously shown when, despite his grievous wounds, he managed to overwhelm Lyon when the latter angered him in battle, and generally displayed in a comical way during his scuffles with Natsu. He is capable of packing powerful punches and kicks, and he often employs unarmed combat in conjunction with his Ice-Make spells to gain the upper hand in battle.
Enhanced Durability - Gray has also displayed tremendous durability during battle. He managed to continue fighting after being hit by boiling water, he survived Fukuro's stolen fire attacks, and endured several dozen energy blasts from Bickslow's dolls before passing out. He also took the blasts from four lightning Lacrima from the Thunder Palace, despite having just recovered from previous injuries.
Enhanced Agility - Gray has shown on different occasions to be very fast and agile. During his fight with Bickslow in an alleyway, he displayed enough acrobatic prowess and strength to move several meters in the air by jumping from one wall to the other. He was also able to avoid some of Racer's attacks despite his overwhelming speed.
Enhanced Strength - Gray has proven himself to possess considerable physical strength, having been shown capable of lifting an enormous amount of large wood beams all by himself, despite subsequently being crushed under them due to distraction. He was also able to lift Lucy while both of them were stuck in a quicksand-like trap and to throw her away several meters up in the air, as well as to shatter the section of a stone wall with a single punch sideways.
- Gray's boxers are much longer in the anime, and are usually always black, unlike the manga.
- When Gemini transformed into Gray and Angel gathered information about Lucy from his mind, Gray's opinion of Lucy are as follows: "Newcomer to the guild, pretty damn cute, possesses some skill. More naive than she appears, and a celestial spirit wizard".
- He is seen smoking in the first few chapters of the manga. This is not seen or mentioned in the anime.
- Gray was ranked first in "Meredy's Most Important People to Kill" list.
- Gray stated that ever since he bears the mark of Fairy Tail, he had never lost to the same opponent twice.
- The necklace Gray wears was supposed to be Rave, but after bouncing around the idea of Gray being the 10th Rave Master among others, Mashima eventually rejected the idea.
- Gray was originally planned to become the Ice Dragon Slayer, but it was ultimately rejected. Around the Tenrou Island arc, Mashima toyed with the idea again before finally settling on Gray becoming the Ice Devil Slayer just before he started writing the Grand Magic Games.