Flandre Scarlet is a character from the Touhou Project games.
Younger sister of Remilia Scarlet and the extra stage boss. She possesses the power to destroy anything at will, but due to her immaturity and mental instability, she's been kept locked up in the mansion basement for around 495 years. Despite this, she doesn't usually try to escape, and is actually quite fond of her older sister.
In the XP4 fics, Flandre is a member of the Unlikely Heroes and ally to the Heroes Coalitions.
Flandre has red eyes and short blond hair, which is tied into a single ponytail on her left side. Wears a red dress and vest, with a pink shirt underneath and socks. Also wears a pink mob cap with a red ribbon attached. She carries a matching wand with her, which might be the mythical Lævateinn. Arranged from her back to the tip of her wings her 8 crystals which are presented in seven colours: light blue, blue, purple, pink, orange, yellow, light green and finally light blue again.
Flandre is normally nice and quiet. She was described as "rather nuts", and although she doesn't often get angry, she is quite strange, which makes it difficult for others to understand her. In Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red, it's suggested that she isn't very good at talking to other people, though she can get rather sassy and uppity when talking with her sister. Her friendship toward humans is very low.
While it is obvious as a vampire, Flandre possesses superhuman capabilities just like Remilia Scarlet, such as enhanced physical strength, with the destructive power of oni and the nimbleness of tengu, as well as a vampire's bodily and regenerative ability. She can swing an oversized sword, thought not as quickly as she would like to. Since she doesn't know the proper way to attack humans, she is unable to go easy on them and blows them away without a trace.
- Destroying Absolutely Anything and Everything
Flandre can destroy anything she wants, which is truly a frightening ability with no real weaknesses. By moving the "eye" of the object, where the tension is highest, and by attacking this eye, she is able to destroy the target. She is able to move the "eye" of anything into the middle of her hand, then she pours her power into it or in other words, she crushes the "eye" and unconditionally destroys the target with just a squeeze. She states that everything has an "eye" and that she has those "eyes" in her hand. She destroyed a meteor with a single hand and without touching it, where Flandre stated that she "went squeeze and it went boom".
This usage of ability was never shown other than in Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red. Everything that is made for her to play with ends up broken, which may mean why she doesn't have many playmates, to which it's recommended to never meet with her.
- Cloning Herself
Flandre is able to clone herself as seen in one of her spell cards where she creates 3 clones that helps her in the battle. The clones attack as they like which could mean they're able to think independently to some grade. It's in the category "Slave Type" so they're under the command of the original Flandre.
In her hand, she possesses an object that looks like a crooked clock needle (sometimes thought to be a Lævateinn) – this is a prominent peculiarity associated with Flandre, in which the name is derived from her second spell card Taboo "Lævateinn". It shares its name with the sword (wand in some versions) of Loki, a Norse god known for causing mischief. This sword/wand is used by the fire giant Surt in Ragnarok (the Norse equivalent of the Apocalypse) to burn down the whole world, except for one safe heaven. Fitting that Flandre would be wielding a tool of such destructive might.
She also possesses unusually peculiar wings, an irregular shape unlike those of any living creature, youkai or ghost, or even to a vampire's typical bat-like wings (or even organic matter). Reimu even said, "I doubt she can fly with those wings". Concerning this statement, Hieda no Akyuu noted that there are plenty of those in Gensokyo who can fly without wings.
- A silhouette of Flandre occupies the front of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil's jewel case.
- Flandre is one of the few characters to not appear in the background during Hopeless Masquerade, which would relate to her lack of leaving the Scarlet Devil Mansion.
- Assuming her birth year by calculating backwards in the Gensokyo Timeline, she's supposed to be born around 1508 A.D. But the "canon-ness" of this assumption is unknown.
- The spell card reference ("And Then Will There Be None?") to an Agatha Christie novel is definite. It's more speculative but still worth noting that the science-fiction genre saw Philip K. Dick write a novel called "Counter-Clock World" in 1967 and Frederik Pohl write "The Gold at the Starbow's End" in 1972.
- On one end of the Lævateinn that Flandre is seen holding in Shoot the Bullet is very different compared to the Lævateinn that Flandre is seen holding in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.
- She used the phrase "that means, you can't use a continue!" to Marisa Kirisame, which was breaking the fourth wall.
- In the Second Touhou Saimoe Tournament, the 8th game of the first round was a battle between Flandre and Suika Ibuki. Although the battle ended with Flan winning, this led to ZUN posting a rough drawing of Suika that hadn't been open to the public with a message saying "don't get defeated by a little sister that hasn't even reached the age of 500!".
- The "crystals" on her wings look somewhat similar to the crystals shown on Patchouli Knowledge's spell card, Fire Water Wood Metal Earth Sign "Philosopher's Stone".
- Strangely, if one uses a bomb against her in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil's Extra, she's shown to have normal wings in bat form.