Erika Kurumi, also known as Cure Marine, is one of the main characters from the Heartcatch Pretty Cure! anime.
A brash and extroverted fashionista. Though energetic and sincere, she often fails to consider the feelings of others.
In the XP4 fics, Erika debuted in XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!.
In the AWA fics, Erika is listed as a purchased slave from the Slave Fortress but is later rescued.
Erika is the shortest of the group, nearly being as tall as Tsubomi's shoulder. She has dark blue eyes and wavy hair that reaches her chest with her forelocks styled the same way. Her pointed bangs are split down the middle. Casually she wears a blue blouse with puffed sleeves beneath a white long-sleeved shirt and frilly layered skirt. On the chest is a yellow bow design with a gold heart in the middle. She also wears tan boots with slightly longer white socks. In the movie, Erika was shown wearing a white jacket with navy sleeves and the bow design from her top on the side of the arm and shaped like a ribbon. The sleeve cuff and collar are covered in fluffy fabric. Paired with this is are denim shorts, black stockings, and a pair of blue sneakers.
As Cure Marine, Erika's eyes and hair become sky blue. Her hair grows in length and separates into two sections while her forelocks gain an extra curl to them. On her head is a blue and white heart with pearls and a ribbon attached. She also gains blue flower earrings and a dark blue choker. She wears a short white dress with dark blue straps on the shoulders and lacing the back and waist. On the chest is a navy ribbon with a turquoise heart on a silver base, while on each hip resides a pale blue flower. Her sleeves are bell flower shaped, while her skirt resembles a two-layered tutu made from flower petals, the top layer being white, the second light blue. She gains dark blue wrist pieces with a pale blue flower and a frilly accent, white stockings, and a pair of navy shoes with pale blue two, buttons, and heel. accent in pale blue with the A white flap wraps around the ankle, which is held by a dark blue strap that has a pale blue flower on it.
Erika is a feminine young girl who loves fashion and dreams of becoming a fashion designer. Everything she loves revolves around fashion, and she has turned it into an art form capable of helping others open up and feel their best. She is able to tell their feelings or moods using the color therapy she is going through. She is also a very fast learner and is fairly cheerful and energetic- although she also has lazy tendencies.
However, Erika is also childish and immature, sometimes coming off as selfish. She can be impatient if things don't move fast enough, and is nosy and the type to say what is on her mind. This brash personality causes her to come off as abrasive towards more shy or reserved types, but at the same time she can become more mindful towards them and will always be there to comfort them should they need it. She cares deeply for her friends, even if she struggles to express it in a way that doesn't cause them further anxiety.
Despite their similarities and shared interests, Erika is very jealous of Momoka and often ignores or pushes her away as her sister attempts to help her or make suggestions. She wishes to surpass Momoka some day and would rather do it on her own then ask her for help. But over time she gradually begins to open up to her sister and grows less hostile.
Erika is a member of the Heroes Coalitions and is part of the Multiverse's Cutest Team. She also attends the Vanguard Academy as a student.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!
In Chapter 13, Erika, alongside her team, the Multiverse's Cutest Team, made their presence in front of a group of Battle Creek Zealots at a temple-like fortress in a snowy mountain somewhere in Neo-Earth. The two sides clashes but the team overpowers the Zealots, causing the red & blue armored men to flee. After that, Erika and the others were ordered to remain in standby which they complied.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Neo-City Diaries
In Chapter 12, Erika is seen doing a jumping-jack at the Training Camp.
Cure Marine (Kyua Marin) is the Cure Erika transforms into. Her powers are like Cure Blossom's, in that she controls flowers while possessing fluid traits shared with water. Because Erika had dreams of Cure Moonlight's and Cure Blossom's fights, she already knew how to transform and fight, and had fantasized about her own Cure name before she is entrusted with a Heart Perfume. Unlike Tsubomi, she was shown to naturally adapt to her Cure self at a quicker pace.
When using her Marine Tact alone, she can use the attack Blue Forte Wave, and together with Cure Blossom and her Blossom Tact, can use Floral Power Fortissimo. During the final battle against Dune Cure Marine joins forces with Cure Sunshine and they use Floral Power Fortissimo together. When facing the advanced Desertrian, Cure Blossom, Cure Marine and Cure Sunshine can also perform a group finisher called Shining Fortissimo.HPC31Later on in the series, she becomes Heartcatch Pretty Cure Super Silhouette along with Cure Blossom, Cure Sunshine and Cure Moonlight in episode 38.
- Blue Forte Wave - The finishing attack that Marine uses to purify a Desertrian.
- Floral Power Fortissimo - Her finishing attack with Blossom or Sunshine.
- Shining Fortissimo - Her finishing attack with Blossom and Sunshine.
Aside from her purifying attacks, Cure Marine likes to name many of her physical attacks, even though they only are for front attacks mainly. They are as following:
- Marine Shoot- Cure Marine draws a circle of water drops before she shoots them at the enemy.HPC03 This is the first sub-attack that has been done twice.
- Marine Impact - Cure Marine concentrates all her powers into her palm and strikes at the enemy; light blue light will then shine, and the enemy is knocked away.
- Marine Dive - Cure Marine jumps high up in the air and then falls down with her heels toward the enemy.
- Pretty Cure Double Shoot - Cure Marine and Cure Blossom's first non-purification duo attack. The girls create energy balls of their respective theme colors and shoot them at the enemy.
- Pretty Cure Big Explosion - Cure Marine and Cure Blossom hold hands tightly and, with comical faces, create a giant explosion.
- Marine Dynamite - Cure Marine throws her arms in the air, creating an outburst of blue energy to explode. Considered a solo version of Pretty Cure Daibakuhatsu.
- Pretty Cure Forehead Punch - Cure Marine brushes the hair out of her forehead and launches her body at the enemy headfirst. She can do this with the magenta Heart Seed.
- Pretty Cure Impact - Cure Blossom, Cure Marine, and Cure Sunshine gather up power and create a giant implosion on the enemy.
- Pretty Cure X'mas Impact - With Cure Blossom, they makes a big heart and becomes a impact.
Cure Rainbow Marine
Cure Rainbow Marine (Kyua Reinbō Marin) is an upgrade Cure Marine gains along with everyone else's in Pretty Cure All Stars DX 2: Kibou no Hikari - Rainbow Jewel o Mamore!. Together, the group of seventeen girls form the group Cure Rainbow (Kyua Reinbō). This upgrade resembles Super Cure Marine but with a wing motif on various parts of the outfit and frill accents. She also gains small, pale yellow wings.
Super Cure Marine
Super Cure Marine (Sūpā Kyua Marin) is the Super Silhouette upgrade Cure Marine receives after passing the trial in the Pretty Cure Palace. This form is obtained when the items called Heartcatch Mirage and Super Pretty Cure Seed is used. In this form, she can use the group finisher, Heartcatch Orchestra.
Her hair grows longer with thicker curls on end and her bangs frame her face. Her hair ornament changes into a pearl tiara attached to a pale blue ribbon, while the outfit turns white and the blue sections turn very pale blue. She gains a pointier skirt, while her chest ribbon and flowers change in shape. Her shoes and stockings change in design, and she gains opera gloves and glowing aura wings in the shape of a heart.
- Erika's Birthday is on May 26, making her zodiac a Gemini.
- Erika's Heart Flower simply changes color instead of withering, making her Desertrian the weakest. As stated by Hanasaki Kaoruko, its color changing is the stage before a Heart Flower starts wilting.
- Upon transforming into Cure Marine, Erika knew what name she was going to have. This is because Tsubomi told her about Pretty Cure earlier, prompting Erika to start coming up with a name. This makes her the only Cure to have thought up a name prior to becoming a Pretty Cure.
- For the Pretty Cure All Stars DX3 Movie Character Polls held by Toei Animation, Cure Marine appeared in the following rankings:
- 2nd in "Favorite Pretty Cure"
- 1st in "The Pretty Cure you want to team up with most"
- 7th in "The Pretty Cure you want to be most"
- 5th in "The Pretty Cure you want to bake with most"
- In the Pretty Cure All Stars Suite Flower Card Collection, Erika is represented by the daisy, which symbolizes innocence and a bright energetic personality in the Language of Flowers.
- Cure Marine often breaks the fourth wall. In many All Stars posters and in the end of the All Stars New Stage 2 credits, Cure Marine is seen looking towards the viewer smiling and winking, while the other Pretty Cures were facing straight forward.
- Cure Marine gives the 10th Anniversary Congratulatory Message at the beginning of episode 28 in Happiness Charge Pretty Cure!
- Erika shared her voice actress with Kagayama Miu, a supporting character from Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart.