Chachamaru Karakuri is a character from the Mahou Sensei Negima anime and manga.
Chachamaru is the 10th student in Japanese alphabetical order of class 2/3-A, she is actually a robot invented by class mechanical geniuses Satomi Hakase (and possibly Chao Lingshen, though Hakase says she did the whole thing), as the partner for immortal vampiress Evangeline A.K. McDowell. Because of her connections, she is consistently found on the opposite ends of conflicts with teacher Negi Springfield, whether it is fighting alongside Eva or being programmed to assist Chao during her attempt to reveal magic to the world. But in actuality, Chachamaru is a machine who is trying to discover herself and her humanity, particularly with her own crush on her teacher.
In the AWA fics, Chachamaru is a student at the AWA Academy.
Chachamaru is a tall, robotic girl with a waist-length light-green hair, she has dull blue eyes and has two metallic ear-piece sticking on each side of her head, She usually wears her Mahora Academy uniform.
Chachamaru tends to appear emotionless, but is very kind and helpful. She also likes to tease Evangeline with a completely straight face. She has a crush on Negi, which causes issues for her since she's forced into conflict with him twice before she's able to act as an ally. During the second incident she makes friends with Chisame despite the latter's irritation with anything outside the ordinary, which definitely extends to humanoid robots going to middle school.
As a mechanical android designed to act as a combat partner for Evangeline, Chachamaru is equipped with several devices, ranging from Bind-Cancellers (to undo Binding Circles), laser emitters in her eyes, magic-powered thrusters on her legs and back, retractable rocket fists, in addition to upgrades and additional equipment provided by her creator Satomi Hakase.
- Chachamaru's thrusters allow her to fly, however she can only do so for 15 minutes before needing to recharge.
- Chachamaru is an expert hand-to-hand combatant on par with some of the best fighters in her class. Following an upgrade after the Mahora Fighting Tournament her abilities were further enhanced allowing her to perform more advanced techniques such as Instant Movement.
- Due to her own A.I. and computer programming, Chachamaru has the ability to interact and connect with other computer networks with ease, allowing her to hack and control even the Mahora computer systems.
- Her latest upgrade now allows her to transform her arms into large swords or guns, though this will tear the sleeves of her clothes apart and has a tendency of draining her magical "battery" rather quickly.
While Evangeline A.K. McDowell's Ministel Magi, Chachamaru later formed a Pactiowith Negi Springfield.
Pactio: Pupa Somnians (literally, "Dream Doll"): Her Pactio Artifact due to this partnership is the Type-2130 Chao Bao Zi Satellite Support System: Al-Iskandariya (aka "Flying Cat") which, in combination with a laser designator allows her to call down a large-scale orbital strike from the satellite's laser cannon.
Her Pactio uniform and weapons all possess a cat theme possibly due to her love of cats.
The satellite is a very curious construct, as it can exist in either worlds, and attack with a huge magic beam, capable of obliberating the biggest shadow construct ever summoned, and tunable down to the setting 'stripping clothes'.
- She can "cry", but the "tears" are actually the lens-cleaning liquid
- Unlike Eva's puppet-partner, Chachazero, Chachamaru is very polite even to her enemies
- Since she's very attentive to the elderly and children, she's very popular in the neighborhood
- While identified easily due to her trademark mechanical ears, outsiders initially assume her to be an avid cosplayer and do not suspect her to be an actual robot.
- Chachamaru's last name, Karakuri, is the Japanese word for "machine" or "mechanism". The cha in her name also uses the Kanji for "tea".