Ban is one of the main characters from the Seven Deadly Sins anime and manga.
Ban is a member of the Seven Deadly Sins, the Fox's Sin of Greed.
In the past, Ban was a bandit who went by the moniker "Bandit Ban". He sought out the Fountain of Youth in the Fairy King's forest in order to gain immortality in the hopes of living long enough for something good to actually happen to him. Instead, he met with the fountain's guardian Elaine and over the course of seven days, they both developed deep feelings for one another. However in the midst of it all, a Demon attacked the forest and deeply wounded both Ban and Elaine. In a sheer act of sacrifice, Ban was saved by Elaine when she gave him a drink from the fountain instead of saving herself. Having become immortal, Ban took care of the Demon but the damage to the forest was done and Elaine lost her life. For what happened, Ban was accused of the crime for which he didn't defend himself against.
Later, Ban was personally recruited by Meliodas to join the Seven Deadly Sins. As Meliodas was the second person after Elaine to truly acknowledge him, Ban joined the order. After the Sins were framed, he let himself be captured and imprisoned in Baste Dungeon, only to escape years later when he discovered that Meliodas was still alive.
While Ban didn't defend himself for the crime that he was accused of, he however at some point in time actually revived the forest by planting the seed entrusted to him by Elaine before her death. For this, he was deemed the new Fairy King by the Sacred Tree and accepted as such by most of its inhabitants much to his reluctance.
In the XP4 fics, Ban debuted in the XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!.
In the AWA fics, Ban is a student at the AWA Academy.
Ban is a very tall, muscular man with tan skin, who possesses a set of well-developed abdominal muscles and usually has a slouch. He has short, spiky, pale blue hair and thin black eyebrows, as well as a pair of scarlet-red eyes. On the left side of his jaw and extending down to his neck, he has a large scar given to him by Meliodas. At the end of the Baste Dungeon Arc, he is shown wearing a red leather jacket and pants with metal studs sewn into both, alongside shoes of a similar, yet darker color.
Ten years ago, Ban wore a full set of red armor with a helmet like the rest of his teammates and wielded either a three-sectioned staff or a rapier. During his imprisonment at the Baste Dungeon, his hair had grown past his shoulders, and he had also grown a large beard and mustache. However, soon after escaping his cell, he utilized Jericho's attacks to trim away his facial hair and to reduce his long hairstyle.
Due to losing his shirt during his fight against King in the Capital of the Dead Arc, Ban decided to wear an apron, until he was able to find a similar set of clothes during the Vaizel Fight Festival. His Seven Deadly Sins symbol of the Fox, is located above his waist on his left side. His wanted poster image, which is slightly accurate, depicts him with long hair that extends past his shoulders. The image also displays a clear view of his distinctive scar.
After leaving the Boar Hat, Ban wore a dark red longcoat. The longcoat has a wide, open collar which exposes a large amount of his chest and has a brown belt with a silver buckle. The bottom half of the longcoat flares out, and has pockets. He is shown wearing his old red leather pants with metal studs sewn into the forearms of the coat, alongside shoes of a similar, yet darker color.
In Purgatory, Ban wears a long-sleeved red jacket with the leopard-like pattern design, made with the skin of the local species; it has a high collar which slopes backwards, and the jacket is wide open and reaches up to his pectoral muscles, exposing his upper-body. His pants are yellowish green and features black blotches on the right side.
Ban is shown to be a passionate man. He takes actions based on whatever catches his interest, such as escaping from prison after hearing his captain was alive, and trying to steal Meliodas' sword, Dragon Handle, to discover why it was so important to him. He has shown some aspects of greed, as well as selfish desire; however, he will stay his hand if he is given a good reason to stop. He has a strange habit of making singing tones while talking, which he developed at a young age after he was adopted by Zhivago.
Despite his selfish and greedy personality, he is also shown to be caring, which is shown when he rushed toward Elaine to save her despite being a "bad person".
Ban is easily surprised and excited, as shown when he discovers Hawk's ability to talk and that the child he was fighting is actually King. Furthermore, when King transformed back into his previous, larger form, Ban was the only one who appeared to be astonished. Ban carries a deep hatred toward the Demon Clan, holding a grudge against them for killing Elaine, and he despises the very thought of resurrecting the clan.
Occasionally, Ban seems to act out of character. When Ban was planning to get the Horn of Cernunnos located under Kingdom of Liones' castle to revive Elaine, he was planning to save the kingdom, and be given the horn as a reward rather than stealing it for unknown reasons. Additionally, Ban has told the other Deadly Sins to not get into Meliodas' past as it was against their rules. Ban even told Meliodas that killing Dale as he is, was the best thing for him and that he should not be naive.
Ban is a member of the Heroes Coalitions and is part of the Team Redemption. He also attends the Vanguard Academy as a student.
XP4 Heroes Coalition - Kick-Off!
In Chapter 4, Ban, alongside his team - Team Redemption, are seen making their way to Magnolia after finishing exterminating the Emotionless at Web Alley when they came across a group of mountain bandits and easily defeated them. After that, they arrived in Magnolia at the Fairy Tail Guild and met up with Makarov Dreyar.
As a member of the Seven Deadly Sins, Ban is very powerful. His speed and strength greatly surpass that of an ordinary human, and his specialty is using his speed in conjunction with his ability, Snatch, in order to rip out opponents organs, preferably their hearts. His most amazing ability however, is his immortality. Thanks to drinking from the Fountain of Youth, all of Ban's wounds heal almost instantaneously no matter how severe. He also does not age, does not need to eat or drink, and is immune to all poisons. His immortality allows him to fight with a much more reckless style than most are willing. Ban's blood has healing qualities because it was fused with the Fountain of Youth, being able to heal others' wounds and regenerate the Fairy King's Forest completely.
- Main article: Snatch
- Snatch「 Gōdatsu (Sunacchi)」: An ability that allows Ban to "rob" physical objects, thus grabbing them, and also the physical abilities of others, thus weakening them while gaining more strength and speed. However, this ability has a limit to how much Ban can rob a person's strength, in order to not damage his own body with overwhelming power. Using a form of snatch, Ban is also able to steal body parts from his opponents such as a heart or an arm in the blink of an eye.
- Three-section staff: During his time as a bandit, Ban wielded a power-imbued three-section staff, a flail weapon consisting of three wooden or metal staffs connected by chain or rope. He was considerably formidable in using it, and could use it in conjunction with his 'Snatch' ability to 'grab' objects like the cup of the Fountain of Youth. The weapon itself was powerful enough to be able to rip out one of the hearts of a demon, and was capable of crushing flesh and breaking bones and nails. He wielded a more elaborately designed one when he became a member of the sins.
- Courechouse: As a member of the Seven Deadly Sins, Ban possessed a sacred treasure, which was stolen during his imprisonment. It is a four-section staff. Five years ago since the Deadly Sins' betrayal, Ban's sacred treasure was stolen after he intentionally lets himself get captured by the Weird Fangs.
Melascula noted that Ban-post Hunter Festival's power level was very possibly higher than a weakened Galand's which would put it well above the power level noted by Merlin.
- King Ban, in Arthurian legend, is the father of Sir Lancelot and Sir Hector de Maris, the brother of King Bors, an early ally of King Arthur, and the husband of Elaine. The relationship of their namesakes may hint at the romantic feelings of Ban and Elaine.
- According to the databook(s):
- Ban's special skill is stealing
- Hobbies: collecting ale labels
- Daily Routine: drinking until he has passed out
- Weak Point: Elaine
- Birthplace: Ravens
- What he likes about himself: Nothing really ♪
- Dream/Hope: Revive Elaine
- Regrets: That he couldn’t save
- The most embarrassing thing in his life: That he felt all fuzzy when Zhivago called him his son
- What he wants the most right now: Skinship with Elaine
- Favorite animal: Foxes and pigs
- Favorite scent: Alcohol
- Favorite food: anything except Meliodas' cooking
- Charm point: his fangs
- He has no complex
- The person he respects the most is Hawk
- The person he does not want to make an enemy of is Meliodas.
- Ban has arm wrestled Meliodas 720 times, which resulted in one of them getting 361 wins. Both of them argue on who is the one who has 361 wins.
- Eventually, Ban wins on their 721st time.
- Ban seems to willingly let himself be imprisoned whenever he is depressed or bored. This happened both after Elaine's death and the rumors of Meliodas' passing
- Ban is weak to alcohol even though he drinks a lot.
- Ban is actually a considerably good cook.
- Ban has the habit of prolonging the pronunciation of his sentences in a singing manner. He speaks with a drawl in the anime.
- He has a collection of ale labels.
- Ban currently shares a room with King.
- Ban demonstrates symptoms of somniloquy.
- The Sin of Greed is usually symbolized with a Frog and the color yellow.
- In the Nanatsu no Taizai Popularity Poll, Ban was placed 2nd overall with 32,068 votes (which included an online poll as well as postcards) and placed 2nd (259 votes) when considering only postcards.
- Ban's name was given to him by his parents, more or less.
- Ban is the only Sin remaining that does not have his Sacred Weapon.
- According to Ban & Elaine Character Guidebook:
- He wants to have two children with Elaine.
- His first love is Elaine.
- He feel's like a big burly tree when embraced according to Elaine,
- His relationship with Elaine would not change if she were to become busty.
- Reeks of alcohol.
- Is a self-taught cook.
- Ban could be considered to be the living embodiment of the Fountain of Youth, as his blood has similar properties.